2008 Honda Pilot Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neighbor mentioned to me the other day he is going to sell his 2008 Honda Pilot 4wd. Not sure which exact model but it does have leather seats and a sunroof, so I'm guessing it is at least a mid level trim model? Vehicle is very clean on the outside. Very little snow in this part of the state and they purchased it new, so I'm not concerned about corrosion but would check it out. He did mention that the timing belt had been replaced at whatever interval Honda recommends. The vehicle has 141k and he said he thought he would "ask" $11k for the vehicle. Vehicle would be used for long distance trips and vacations.

First off, any trouble spots or specific things to look or look out for on these vehicles?

Second, how does the price sound?

Long distance trips and vacations can be ruined on any vehicle, regardless of manufacture, with 141K on it.
If your wanting to purchase the vehicle just for that, consider renting a vehicle for such trips.

I think the price is high. Four years ago I got a then-9-year-old Pilot with 98K from a dealer for a little less money. Mine has no leather, but 43K more miles for a 1 year older Pilot doesn't add up.

Ask him if the "D" ever blinks (transmission issues). These codes usually don't show up on OBDII sensors.

The 4WD system requires regular maintenance, in particular the VTM-4 rear diff fluid needs to be changed. Ask for records.

No VCM in 08 4WD Pilot so no worries there.

All in all these are very good vehicles, but that price is just a negotiating starting point.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Long distance trips and vacations can be ruined on any vehicle, regardless of manufacture, with 141K on it.
If your wanting to purchase the vehicle just for that, consider renting a vehicle for such trips.

I guess we're living life on the edge with long distance trips and vacations in our 188K Pilot. Or maybe we're just enjoying that legendary last-decade Honda reliability everyone mourns has gone away. I don't know.

But renting is a viable alternative.

Yeah, $11000 is a lot of money!
My buddy just traded in their '07 Honda Pilot AWD w/over 160K miles and all northern winters(lots of salt) and no rust. They didn't have any particular issues with the Pilot, just normal maintenance. They bought a '17 Pilot and got $4500 for their trade and $4000 knocked off of the NEW '17 leftover. IDK if this helps.

Well all know trade-in values are low. I would posit that a reasonable value is somewhere between that trade-in $4500 and the requested $11000.

Did he mention ever having had the transmission fluid changed? It's easier than an engine oil change for the DIYer on these. The Pilot has the more HD 4-shaft 5spd auto. I'd want to see paperwork for the T-belt change too. Lots of non-car folk confuse this with a serpentine belt replacement.

Last edited:
too much, let him sit on a month and then offer a reasonable amount. Check ebay completed sales for price guidance.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I routinely take trips in my 165k mile LR3, 170k mile Liberty, 141k mile Cherokee...guess I should stop.
Can you rent something with a winch and full skid plates and lift?
smile.gif

OP: The price seems a bit high. But if he's your neighbor, you might have a pretty good feel for how he took care of things. If it seems like he's generally on top of things (nicely kept house etc), I'd go for it unless he'd get weird and ask for visitation rights with it.
smile.gif

Last edited:
No VCM so that is a huge plus but 11K for a 08 with 141K on it is way too much. 7K would be all the money for me on that, I don't even like that enough to buy it if I wanted it 6K is more like it.

Thanks for the replies thus far. I personally thought the price was a little high myself. Looks like about the price a dealer would ask for it in my area based on what I have seen on autotrader. I have no doubt he takes care of his vehicles. He keeps an immaculate yard and keeps up with maintenance on his house.

The reason he is selling is because he and his wife bought a 18 Pilot a couple months back. The maintenance of the 4wd system does concern me a little though. He came over to my house one day when he saw me under my wife's 08 CR-V. He asked what was wrong and I told him nothing was wrong, I was just changing the rear differential fluid. He kind of got a funny look on his face and I wondered then if the Pilot required a similar service?

Wife's CR-V has 149k on it. It has been reliable and I feel like it still has a lot of life left. I'm going to wait him out and see if he actually puts it up for sale and what his asking price is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back