Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was in high school 91-95, Castrol synthetic was called syntec. Great name to compete against M1 at the time. Why do they have to keep changing names? M1 has always been that with a bunch of new blends. Now recently they all are. Why not stay with what they were named originally? Same with Valvoline, it was known as Syn Power, now adavanced and modern. [censored] kind of name is that? Also in 1993 M1 was 4.95 p/qt and Castrol dino was 99 cents qt at Walmart

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I remember when I was in high school 91-95, Castrol synthetic was called syntec. Great name to compete against M1 at the time. Why do they have to keep changing names? M1 has always been that with a bunch of new blends. Now recently they all are. Why not stay with what they were named originally? Same with Valvoline, it was known as Syn Power, now adavanced and modern. [censored] kind of name is that? Also in 1993 M1 was 4.95 p/qt and Castrol dino was 99 cents qt at Walmart

Marketing sells.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

Marketing sells.
smile.gif

We all know M1 is synthetic, that's what we all know, when I think Castrol, I think syntec and John force, everyone knows who he is, castrol was his main sponser for 30 years of funny car, the new marketing is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, when I was in Walmart, I took 15 min and just watched people trying to decide what brand to buy, 50% didn't have a clue what to buy or weight. There was a woman asking a store employee what kind of oil for her car, she was clueless, I stepped up and asked her like I wasn't paying attention, I asked her what kind of car, she said Acura, that's 0/20 unless it's the RDX, that's 5/30. The bottles are pretty like a soda can. They'll say the same thing without any real information. Maybe the government, should require, all the info like the food industry. Such as VI, TBN, etc. They would fight that big time. They know some would buy another brand if people knew what that information ment.

Bull, none of that would make a difference. People who don't want to know or can't be bothered to know will never change. It's actually part of the reason why there is so little information... the less there is the less the consumers think. They buy on price.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Bull, none of that would make a difference. People who don't want to know or can't be bothered to know will never change. It's actually part of the reason why there is so little information... the less there is the less the consumers think. They buy on price.

Very true statement, price #1 decision factor for most.

In 1978 when I first bought M1 5-20 it was $5 a qt and the Valvo 10-40 syrup I was using was about 45 cents.

I remember when I was in high school 91-95, Castrol synthetic was called syntec. Great name to compete against M1 at the time. Why do they have to keep changing names?

Did someone mention Syntec?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Anyone remember "Pennzoil synthetic with Pennzane"?

No, but I **DO** remember "Pennzoil with Z-7"

il_570xN.1176437811_9lf9.jpg

What was wal-Mart oil called before "SuperTech" and before "Tech 2000"...??

Wasn't it called "American Pride" or something like that?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Wasn't it called "American Pride" or something like that?

Yep! I remember that
laugh.gif

Yes, that Pennzane was some kind of miracle substance that NASA was using at the time, IIRC that's what it said on the bottles...then we were supposed to think, well if it's good enough for NASA, then it's gotta be great for my car!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy

Yes, that Pennzane was some kind of miracle substance that NASA was using at the time, IIRC that's what it said on the bottles...then we were supposed to think, well if it's good enough for NASA, then it's gotta be great for my car!

They could add one solitary drop of Ester turbine engine oil and advertise: "Contains aerospace jet oil technology!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back