More New Supertech Filter Photos, Manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perforated metal tube shows it is CLEARLY NOT an E-core (at least that model)

Other photos posted recently showed E-core construction

Was out at W*M tonight, saw more of the new stock. The 3506 and 3614's were e-cores.

Some of them are e-core filters, yet some are still the Wix ProSelect clone, packaged in the new design box.

looks promising. I hope the sizes i use aren't E-cores.

guess we'll see.

kinda looks like a rebadged Ac Delco

Last edited:
also, does anyone know if the supertech oil has changed providers?

I see the bottles have changed and the ones at my store no longer say WPP on the bottom

Looks like a Purolator box.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
kind of looks like a re-badged Ac Delco

Most of the AC Delco oil filters I have seen for many years now have all been E-core

Quote:
I hope the sizes i use aren't E-cores.

Most are ecores, all made by Champ Labs as recently covered in this thread. There are a few exceptions like topic smaller filter application 4386 used on Toyotas et al. The shorty metric thread 6607 is also classic construction, as would be the 7317 if they have it in the new ST line. As noted, majority are ecores using a combo valve design. Current AZ (in this area) standard STP Blue look to be identical.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
also, does anyone know if the supertech oil has changed providers?

I see the bottles have changed and the ones at my store no longer say WPP on the bottom

This topic was recently discussed on a PCMO thread about the new 0w20 ST Full Synthetic. 'Supposedly' the Dexos number on the dexos listing 'may' indicate it to be a Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Product. I'm not convinced just yet. As noted the new jugs don't have WPP, WNE, WSE which up to this point all Warren Dist jugs/quarts have had on the bottom.

I emailed Warren Distribution about it this week but got a vague answer saying WM uses different oil blenders depending on area. That I already knew. I may try to email them again to drill down if jugs/qts without the WPP/WSE/WNE emblem are a Warren product. While obviously possible, I find it odd that Warren would suddenly remove their ID from bottom new ST oil quarts and jugs.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
I hope the sizes i use aren't E-cores.

Most are ecores, all made by Champ Labs as recently covered in this thread. There are a few exceptions like topic smaller filter application 4386 used on Toyotas et al. The shorty metric thread 6607 is also classic construction, as would be the 7317 if they have it in the new ST line. As noted, majority are ecores using a combo valve design. Current AZ (in this area) standard STP Blue look to be identical.

So the 4386 is still wix and identical to old supertech then?

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices

So the 4386 is still wix and identical to old supertech then?

Probably going to be Champ made. Champ made ST filters are e-core for filters 3 inches or wider, with the exception of the 3593a/9688 line. Anything smaller (4967, 6607, 7317, etc) have the steel cores.

The pics shown are of a Champ labs filter. They are going back to Champ. In the size shown 4386 it shows an ecore on the box but the old standard Champ is in the box. A good value filter but has the pesky louvers. Can see a few in the pics, they look opened. Up till now Champ labs hasn't made a 4386 size only the 4967, maybe this is something new to get the longer 4386 version of the 4967.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
...So the 4386 is still wix and identical to old supertech then?

No. In this tier filter (value/jobber) Champ uses majority ecore construction. However, for whatever reason(s) there are a few exceptions like the topic filter, most are smaller applications. The larger applications are majority ecores.

Quote:
The WIX ST4386 has a combo valve. This one appears to have a dome bypass valve which is a good thing.

True....in this case. However the Wix made STs had dome bypass on the popular ST9688(7317) and ST3614. The new ST3614 is an ecore using a combo valve, as are the great majority of the new ST line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back