Monitor Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions on how to monitor 2013 Ford Fiesta Oil Pressure? OBD II does not do it. Any suggestions short of running running a hose from the engine to a gauge on the dashboard?

What is IDS? I am using OBDLink II Bluetooth hardware with OBD Auto Doctor and scantool 1.21 software. Just got FORscan running with WINE on my Linux Laptop but have not had a chance to use it on my 2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 DOHC.

I do not see that oil pressure is supported by FORscan:
http://forscan.org/modules_list.html

The IDS is the Ford scan tool. Its basically a software program that runs on a laptop and connects through the VCM II. Its about a $3-5,000 setup plus another $2,000 a year for updates.

Originally Posted By: borgward
What is IDS? I am using OBDLink II Bluetooth hardware with OBD Auto Doctor and scantool 1.21 software. Just got FORscan running with WINE on my Linux Laptop but have not had a chance to use it on my 2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 DOHC.

Should be a PCM pid in Forscan(I don't have the car, but worth a try!)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The IDS is the Ford scan tool. Its basically a software program that runs on a laptop and connects through the VCM II. Its about a $3-5,000 setup plus another $2,000 a year for updates.

It is all in one, hardware and software?

Does it read a code for throttle body position sensor and also for the the throttle pedal assy? Can you tell me what the water temperature for the 2013 Fiesta should be?

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

The PCM is where the engine malfunctions come from? Sorry, I am new at this.

Re bdcardinal

It is all in one, hardware and software?

Does it read a code for throttle body position sensor and also for the the throttle pedal assy? Can you tell me what the water temperature for the 2013 Fiesta should be?

I keep getting the wrench icon and engine malfunction notice. the car is indeed malfunctioning. Throttle does not work in mid range. Idles well, and operates well at high RPM's. I can turn the engine off, restart and the wrench light and notice are gone and the malfunction disappears for weeks. Have you seen this behavior at you shop? Could the problem be in the engine management computer?. I have heard of moisture getting into the throttle position sensor causing the problem, but it does not seem likely that turning the engine of and immediately restarting would make the moisture and corrosion go away.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the throttle position sensor or the throttle pedal assy?

Is it possible to remove the plastic cover over the throttle position sensor to inspect for moisture and corossion w/out breaking anything?

The IDS is a combination of both hardware and software. It is the Ford factory scan tool that lets you do a ton of things that not even ForScan can do. My work has like 3 and I am certified on how to use it.

They can use it to pull the code associated with your wrench light. Any troubleshooting of the throttle body would be done through the IDS unless the PC/ED section of the FSM indicated a different pinpoint test.

FWIW the pedal assemblies rarely go bad on gas powered Fords.

I am sure there is a way to open up the cover but there will be no instructions on Ford's end on how to do it since it would not accomplish anything. You open it and see a bunch of corrosion and the next thing you would see/hear is the throttle body hitting the scrap metal pile while the tech went to parts to get a new one.

More info here:
https://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/VDIRS/wds/vcm_retail_renewal_Latest.asp

Basically, for pre 2018 vehicles, Ford does not allow you to use IDS without a VCMII interface. The VCMII interface is the expensive part. For the do-it-yourselfer, your funds are better spent on a higher end scan tool. I would look into an Autel MD808 Pro.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

The PCM is where the engine malfunctions come from? Sorry, I am new at this.

Yes, try forscan and see what codes come up when you do the initial scan. It will check every module in the car. Coverage should be good for your car because Forscan is made by a guy in Russia (Fiesta is a Euro Car I believe) and I think he actually drives one(or a focus).

Then go into the PCM (there are many choice, GEM, ABS, etc). And look at data pids for the issues you have. If the throttle assembly is bad, you should be able to read throttle angle as you press the accelerator.

Forscan is comparable to IDS for my cars (I never tried programming, but it can actually work thru the ford VCM II interface hardware). Forscan is a partial replacement for IDS.

If you have issues, contact the forscan team, they will work with you.

Last edited:
Does Forscan connect to Bluetooth? It is looking for wifi and can't find it. I am using OBDLink II Bluetooth device.

I closed Forscan and started OBD Auto Doctor and am connecting to the OBDLink II Bluetooth device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back