2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8 5-speed manual 4X4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to look at one of these tomorrow and hopefully bring it home.

Highlights:

1. Low miles (less than 70k)
2. Minimal if any rust
3. Oil sprayed underneath
4. New tires
5. Interior looks mint

I’m having a dealership inspect it tomorrow, and if all’s well I am buying it.

Anyone familiar with these trucks?

The older 4.7s had some sludge issues so make sure to check for sludge and use a good oil.

They were not that strong and still got bad gas mileage but if taken care of were not to bad. I think some early ones may have also had some timing chain issues but not super common.

The biggest issue is usually the transmission. But a manual fixes that.

I have a 2007 Dakota with the 4.7. About to hit 100k this year.

Bought it. This thing is in great shape. Zero rust, everything works. No dents.

If I can get 60k out of it I’ll be a happy man.

Here's a few [censored] pics from the ad:

28313759_10164416800282037_866473517_n.png

28308966_10164416795812037_394201382_n.png

28308820_10164416795197037_2131045335_n.png

We still have a few 2002 4.7 1500's in our fleet at work. The few that have checked out were lost to leaking radiators/unchecked coolant levels, overheating/head gasket failures. The remaining trucks we have left are pushing 120k miles on low bidder bulk conventional 10w30 at 5-6k mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Did the 4.7's not have issues with dropping valve seats as well? I'd be worried about that, especially if the engine has ever been overheated.

Yes. That's exactly the issue right there.

Originally Posted By: Soggydog
We still have a few 2002 4.7 1500's in our fleet at work. The few that have checked out were lost to leaking radiators/unchecked coolant levels, overheating/head gasket failures. The remaining trucks we have left are pushing 120k miles on low bidder bulk conventional 10w30 at 5-6k mile intervals.

Good to know!

First thing I did was install BFG Winter Slalom's on some cheap 5-spoke tirerack wheels. Night and day difference in the snow.

Funny story, I had to move an old Toyota through about 8" of snow. [censored] near got that thing stuck. Open front and rear diffs with cheap knockoff all-season tires.

I still think my Cobalt SS is better in the snow, unless there's more than 6" on the roads or so. The rear end on this thing is very light. Regardless, it's still fun to drive with the V8 and the 5-speed.

I did find some rust under the bedliner and under the rear fender flares. Fortunately it isn't too bad and can be saved with a patch panel and some POR15/fluid film. The frame is good which is the important part.

OK, I've had this thing for over a year now. Had to replace o2 sensors, catback exhaust, and some various odds and ends.

Here's my conclusion: http://chrisleoonline.com/dodge-dakota-review/

I'm pretty happy with it. If RAM made a Dakota with a Hemi, manual trans and 4x4 they would have people lining up for miles to order one. Even a hemi/auto/4x4 midsize based on the Gladiator would be amazing. Unfortunately I have a feeling it'll be V6 only, and maybe offer a manual at the sacrifice of towing capacity. And of course it'll be 40k+.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I occasionally drive the 2000 Dakota that the GF inherited. 3.9L V6. I really hate that it doesn't have a low coolant light.

Keep an eye on that temp gauge!

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
The rear end on this thing is very light.

Get some wooden crates or plastic totes and put them over the rear axle. Fill them with sand and strap them in good.
Or a bunch of bagged sand from the hardware store.
A little weight makes a big difference.
And if you do get stuck in ice you have sand to throw under the wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CrAlt
Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
The rear end on this thing is very light.

Get some wooden crates or plastic totes and put them over the rear axle. Fill them with sand and strap them in good.
Or a bunch of bagged sand from the hardware store.
A little weight makes a big difference.
And if you do get stuck in ice you have sand to throw under the wheels.

New tires made a big difference, as did adding the tonneau cover.

Lets just say it is a blast to drive in the rain, haha. It will chirp the tires shifting to 3rd if you really want to power through the gears. I just feel like I am going to break something when I drive it that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back