Security Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house was recently broken into and items were taken. It's time to take measures to protect the home.
The first step will be some sort of camera system.Second measure will be a guard dog.First things first though,what type of security camera system are you using if indeed you are using one for your home?!

check with your telephone company, they might offer remote viewing and system specials to members.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
check with your telephone company, they might offer remote viewing and system specials to members.

We use Magicjack service,they dont have anything home security related.

First of all make sure the camera has enough resolution that you can actually ID someone with it. Many have resolution that is so bad that they are a total waste of your money.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

We use Magicjack service,they dont have anything home security related.

Great, then check with your ISP!

Alarm system with a cell phone backup, in case the phone line is cut.

They can take your camera recording hardware, so you want it stored off site, or well hidden in the home where they wont find it (attic?)

Put up a sign on all doors that says "Retired police officer lives here, We don't answer the door for strangers. This door is locked for your protection. Are you SURE no one is home? Home invaders will be shot." Its not much, but it could convince a burglar to go somewhere else.

Surveillance is not security. Hypothetically, I would break into a house with a camera, ski masks are cheap. Wound care from my dog would be rather expensive, and likely impossible to avoid even if a firearm would be used.

My wife just came up with the "security" camera idea last night. I asked her if she would feel better if she was able to record the misfortunes and watch them later. Then I asked her how will the camera step in and prevent the _______ from happening, I think kidnapping was the topic at that moment. She just looked at the dog.

So, this is my suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Simplisafe

Dlink cameras

Dlink - No monthly charge. Communicates with your modem.

And I have recording software on a server in my basement. Records about a month worth's of video.

Samsung has some great security cameras. Would recommend them.
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Surveillance is not security. Hypothetically, I would break into a house with a camera, ski masks are cheap. Wound care from my dog would be rather expensive, and likely impossible to avoid even if a firearm would be used.

My wife just came up with the "security" camera idea last night. I asked her if she would feel better if she was able to record the misfortunes and watch them later. Then I asked her how will the camera step in and prevent the _______ from happening, I think kidnapping was the topic at that moment. She just looked at the dog.

So, this is my suggestion.
Around this part of the country people breaking in are too dumb to wear ski masks. Usually its dumb teens or crack heads. Security cameras can be great in an investigation. security cameras help bring justice.

Side note: I would recommend Samsung. They have some great quality security cameras.

If your serious about someone actually taking action during a break in, a professional system like ADT is hard to beat

It however, comes at a price

For a DIY option, consider SmartThings, Scout, or Simplysafe

Camera's, signs, or warnings about guns or dogs are laughable at best

It's all about non altercation, good insurance, and recordings for the inevitable lawsuit

I've come home to a smashed window/door, and missing valubles more then once in my life

We all slept in the living room with a bat that night...

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
If your serious about someone actually taking action during a break in, a professional system like ADT is hard to beat

It's all about non altercation, good insurance, and recordings for the inevitable lawsuit

I've come home to a smashed window/door, and missing valubles more then once in my life

Signs are not laughable. Robbers don't want to get caught. The threat of getting caught makes one house less desirable than another.

Why would a lawsuit be inevitable?

My Simplisafe system is as good or better than any ADT system I know of. The times I've accidentally set it off, they were calling me within 20 seconds to see if everything was ok.

Don't bring a bat to a gunfight.

I have SimpleSafe. A great system. I have the optional outdoor siren that screams bloody murder super loud. I doubt anyone would stick around. The retired marine across the street would hear it and take out the thugs with his AR15 just for fun.

Camera's, signs, or warnings about guns or dogs are laughable at best ???? really?

No one wants to get in that bad unless they know you have very $$$$ stuff in the house. Most don't want to tangle with a big guard type dog or get caught, especially when loud alarms or a barking dog make so much noise to alert the neighbors!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Signs are not laughable. Robbers don't want to get caught. The threat of getting caught makes one house less desirable than another.

Why would a lawsuit be inevitable?

My Simplisafe system is as good or better than any ADT system I know of. The times I've accidentally set it off, they were calling me within 20 seconds to see if everything was ok.

Don't bring a bat to a gunfight.

I remember in my CCW class, the instructor mentioned New Jersey prosecutors have a problem with people defending themselves using hollow point ammunition.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Our house was recently broken into and items were taken. It's time to take measures to protect the home.
The first step will be some sort of camera system.Second measure will be a guard dog.First things first though,what type of security camera system are you using if indeed you are using one for your home?!

Keep in mind, many times a thief will hit the same place again. In addition, I would also consider a 24hr.monitoring service.Many times it is someone near you who knows your habits. To be usable in court, you need time (and seconds) and date in the picture.
I am curious, how they got in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back