Dexos 1 Gen 2 5W-30 oils - does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standing in the isle at Wal-Mart, it occurred to me that specs are so close on all of the Dexos1 G2 oils, there might not be any good reason to spend $25.67 for a 5-qt jug of M1 of PP when QSUD is $19.97 and will probably protect just as well. I would bet that at 200k miles you would not be able to tell a difference in wear / performance if you ran QSUD from mile 1 or M1 (or other more expensive oils) from mile 1.

Does anyone agree, or am I out to lunch? It just seems like D1G2 has really brought the specs so close together that brand doesn't matter. I am starting to think that QSUD, Catrol Magnatec, or even Supertech at the $18-20 price point might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: novadude
there might not be any good reason to spend $25.67 for a 5-qt jug of M1 of PP when QSUD is $19.97 and will probably protect just as well. I would bet that at 200k miles you would not be able to tell a difference in wear / performance if you ran QSUD from mile 1 or M1 (or other more expensive oils) from mile 1

I totally agree.

On lightly loaded engines (non-towing) it's not hard to get 200,000 miles
and the engine never saw a drop of synthetic in its life.

I think all the major players are pretty much the same also, I look for rebates, sales and thats what I get...
But I lean towards syns just because I think they'll keep and engine cleaner longer...
49.gif

And I hope to get my engine to at least 300,000 miles

I put some mos2 in it today I swear got at least 5 mph more speed when going 55 down the highway LOL
smile.gif
wink.gif

Last edited:
They are all good oils with that designation and so choose the one with rebate, sale and maybe on sale with a rebate

OR-there is that other thread about Amsoil that doesn't have a "DEXOS" rating.......

It's a bit sad isn't it...but I think you are 100% correct.

real life performance, you couldn't slide a [censored] paper between any of the majors...looks like price is it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back