HF 21 Gal Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I'd give you guys a quick thought about the compressor I picked up at Harbor Freight. This one. I know you're thinking "you bought a compressor at Harbor Freight, are you nuts?" Maybe, but with online coupon it was only $150 plus tax. It is also oil lubricated, which is also a plus in my book. I've never been fond of the oil free compressors. We use them at work and they perform less than stellar. Instructions on initial start-up is to put a fitting on the end and run the compressor for 30 minutes strait. After which you are to change out the oil. Now I know why they want you to do that, this is the oil after the initial 30 minutes:

f5ruRhb.jpg

Refilled with some Castrol Edge 0w30 I had laying around. Figured it would be easier running during the winter in my un-heated detached garage. I know some of you are going to say I should be using a non-detergent oil, but I've been running Castrol HD30 in my small 2 gallon compressor for years. Under heavy (and abusive I might say) use it still works to this day.

My primary use is a blow gun, and my initial impressions are it does very well. With the regulator set at around 100, pressure feels constant. It does stay running while using the blow gun, but that's to be expected. I'm sure impact use would be suitable for this unit as well. Any long-time use tool such as an air sander I probably wouldn't recommend. Long term longevity is yet to be determined, but as a budget compressor I'm impressed. Figure I'd share in-case anybody is looking for something along this line and on a budget.

I was actually looking at that exact compressor to replace my 8 gal hot dog. How loud is it compared to other compressors?

Also, that photo is nuts. At first I thought it was a picture of a glass measuring cup with a metal bottom. It almost looks like a vial of mercury with some dust in it.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Refilled with some Castrol Edge 0w30 I had laying around. Figured it would be easier running during the winter in my un-heated detached garage. I know some of you are going to say I should be using a non-detergent oil, but I've been running Castrol HD30 in my small 2 gallon compressor for years

Every oiled air compressor I own always gets the "crankcase" filled with good, clean used engine oil. I change it every couple years.

Originally Posted By: BoxedFox
I was actually looking at that exact compressor to replace my 8 gal hot dog. How loud is it compared to other compressors?

Also, that photo is nuts. At first I thought it was a picture of a glass measuring cup with a metal bottom. It almost looks like a vial of mercury with some dust in it.

We must have the same hot dog filter because mine can wake up the dead.

Originally Posted By: BoxedFox

It's probably going to be just as loud honestly. It is a little bit louder than my ancient 2 gallon Craftsman hotdog type. I will say it's quieter than the DeWalt 4.5 gal oil-less though. IMO I would go for it, but would follow break-in to the T. Most other reviews shadow the same thing.

My last compressor was a HF air compressor. I ended up running it low on oil and seized it up. 100% my fault. I don't know if the drain plug is still the same, but mine had a rubber o ring to seal it. My o ring got damaged and the oil leaked out. If yours is the same design just make sure the o ring doesn't deform and crack when tightened. Or, just replace it with a new one each time you drain the oil.

Using motor oil, or any detergent oil, in an air compressor will eventually gum up the valves.

If you shop around, ISO100 (air compressor oil) can be had for the same price per quart as any other oil.

If you have a very cold shop and need air at below freezing temperatures, you can even do synthetic non-detergent.

You can extend the change interval of any proper air compressor oil letting it sit for 24 hours, and then draining the water off of the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-ISO-100-Detergent-Compressor-Lubricant/dp/B072LXNYJN

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Gear-Synthethic-Based-Grade/dp/B010V9P4EG

I'll probably get one of these when the time comes unless I can find something older and used.

I hear nothing but good things online.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Using motor oil, or any detergent oil, in an air compressor will eventually gum up the valves.

If you shop around, ISO100 (air compressor oil) can be had for the same price per quart as any other oil.

If you have a very cold shop and need air at below freezing temperatures, you can even do synthetic non-detergent.

You can extend the change interval of any proper air compressor oil letting it sit for 24 hours, and then draining the water off of the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-ISO-100-Detergent-Compressor-Lubricant/dp/B072LXNYJN

https://www.amazon.com/Miles-Gear-Synthethic-Based-Grade/dp/B010V9P4EG

Bought my compressor from from Sears (their "Best") - made by Devilbis in 1980. Never a problem since with near daily use. Been using Mobil 1 10w-30 for about the last 30 years. Gummed up valves??

I have a small Campbell Hausfeld compressor and CH actually recommends Mobil 1 5w30, not a non-detergent oil. It came with a small bottle of SAE 30 oil, not sure if it was non-detergent. It would thicken up a lot in cold weather and the compressor often would not start and trip the breaker in the winter. I drained it out after the break-in period and refilled with Mobil 1 5w30. It now has no problem starting on the coldest days.

Well, I ended up buying the 21 gal HF compressor that Delta bought. It's about as loud as my Husky 8 gal hotdog and draws a similar amount of power. But the pump is powerful enough and the added capacity is tremendously useful. I can now use my tyre changer without having to sit and wait for the tank to fill up between every tyre.

Pretty good value for money I'd say.

I grabbed the Husky 20 gal 175 psi compressor. Nice unit if you’re just running med-heavy tools in bursts

I had the $150 harbor freight for 3 weeks before it continually tripped the reset. The break in was done to the tee, oil changed, 25amp ckt and it would start and slow down and pop the reset. I would read all the reviews and youtube vids if anyone is wanting to try one. They have a reputation for dying. I should have done my research before buying it.

Figure I'd do an update on this compressor. I've used it every single weekend so far and it hasn't missed a beat. Primary use is for blowing the grass off my lawn equipment, and it actually keeps up well. Sometimes it'll be running 10 minutes strait when using my small handheld sandblaster or heavy debris blowing. I've used a small Kobalt spray gun to spray varnish some chairs and it didn't seem to drop pressure. Would I use a nice Sata gun on it? Probably not, but next spring I'll find out how it does painting my truck. Not optimal at all, but it will be solid color single stage, not metallic. Pressure drop spraying metallic would look like dung. I also need to texture the ceiling in an attic room. I plan on changing the oil here soon, just for piece of minds sake. I would buy this compressor again, but my next one will be a 2 stage once I get a new electrical service in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back