Carbon buildup on Toyota pistons and rings

This is why VMs are bad. Synthetic, Conventional doesn't matter to me, just give me as straight as you've got.
happy2.gif

I guess that why we don't see any dino dexos oils. +1 on synthetic being a must in modern engines, dino should be reserved for pre emission control engines only IMO.

Cujet,
Thanks for posting this. For those that say varnish is harmless(mostly caused by oil oxidation) are wrong in some cases, because when oil oxidizes ring coking can occur as seen in video. The varnished head looked fare with some varnish, but the rings were coked(I have seen much worse) which leads to oil blow by and oil consumption. A quality synthetic will prevent this. In 40 years of synthetic oil use at 10K OCIs I have never had this problem.

I thought this was a manufacturing defect. They extended the warranty because they knew they used defective parts.

Why are there tons of vehicles, especially Toyota’s that have over 200k miles on original motors using nothing but conventional oil?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Why are there tons of vehicles, especially Toyota’s that have over 200k miles on original motors using nothing but conventional oil?

Ring and piston design and shorter OCIs. Perhaps

Last edited:
I have this motor. At around 60k I noticed the oil consumption went way up. I was using about a quart every 1200 miles. The warranty extension states I must use MORE than a quart every 1200 miles. The warranty extension is for 10 years. I happened to switch to synthetic around that time, due to living in Minnesota and realizing I would improve winter starting. From 60k to about 90 k miles I have been dumping in a quart every 1200 miles. In the last 6 months though, it seems the oil consumption has dropped. I am unsure if the synthetic did it, but it is better. I think around a quart every 2000. Maybe in a design where the oil is hanging up in the oil control rings (too small holes), synthetic flows better. I don't know.

Is it poor design or the oil? With my S-Series Saturn design was the issue. Synthetic oil helped reduce oil consumption if used early.

I feel a little confused. Some say any oil that meets spec will be fine in my Elantra. Trav just said synthetic oil is a must in modern engines. I have high regard for Trav.

Experience tells me it is easier to keep and engine clean with synthetic oil than clean an engine once rings are coked. On the other hand Hyundai does not require synthetic oil.

My head is hurting now.
33.gif

So, As you can see, The 1999 Corolla that's in my sig is a car that's notorious for burning Oil......a product of not enough drain holes or too small a drain hole by the Piston oil control ring groove that eventually gets "clogged" and creates an "oil Burning" condition. Now the car in question was purchased 10 months ago, used, from a little old lady (literally) who had the car serviced by a reputable Service center in the area that has a great reputation of doing quality Work for a fair price.....upon looking at the service records of the vehicle (specifically the Oil Change records), the Oil used was Bulk dino Pennzoil 5W30 with a Pennzoil Oil filter, approximately every 5000miles/6 months. What I have done to possibly prevent this from being an issue was to give it an initial "Kreen" piston soak and to change the Oil to 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with an Fram Ultra Filter.
I truly believe that the steps I took to cure/prevent the oil burning issue have worked!!
lol.gif

So far, 4 thousand miles on the car since purchase and it hasn't burned a drop of oil......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Is it poor design or the oil?

If it was the oil, then every engine would be having problems if they weren't using the most expensive oil on the shelf. Obviously a problem specific to these engines. And there are a lot of engines out there with specific problems, on a lot of them using the wrong oil can cause the problem...but it's not the oil that's the problem, it's engine design.

Here’s the top of one of my pistons on my 2015 Tacoma. No oil burning. Going to try Amsoil PI every 5K till 30K when it’s time to change plugs again and hopefully it cleans it up.

Originally Posted By: tig1
... In 40 years of synthetic oil use at 10K OCIs I have never had this problem.
I've never heard of a reasonably maintained Ford with this problem, regardless of oil type.

Originally Posted By: CR94
I've never heard of a reasonably maintained Ford with this problem, regardless of oil type.

Agree... same here.

Nor any older Chevy V8 (I've never owned a newer generation one)

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Is it poor design or the oil?

If it was the oil, then every engine would be having problems if they weren't using the most expensive oil on the shelf. Obviously a problem specific to these engines. And there are a lot of engines out there with specific problems, on a lot of them using the wrong oil can cause the problem...but it's not the oil that's the problem, it's engine design.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
So, As you can see, The 1999 Corolla that's in my sig is a car that's notorious for burning Oil......a product of not enough drain holes or too small a drain hole by the Piston oil control ring groove that eventually gets "clogged" and creates an "oil Burning" condition. Now the car in question was purchased 10 months ago, used, from a little old lady (literally) who had the car serviced by a reputable Service center in the area that has a great reputation of doing quality Work for a fair price.....upon looking at the service records of the vehicle (specifically the Oil Change records), the Oil used was Bulk dino Pennzoil 5W30 with a Pennzoil Oil filter, approximately every 5000miles/6 months. What I have done to possibly prevent this from being an issue was to give it an initial "Kreen" piston soak and to change the Oil to 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with an Fram Ultra Filter.
I truly believe that the steps I took to cure/prevent the oil burning issue have worked!!
lol.gif

So far, 4 thousand miles on the car since purchase and it hasn't burned a drop of oil......

Whats your kreen piston soak? Thanks...

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I thought this was a manufacturing defect. They extended the warranty because they knew they used defective parts.

They change the design of the parts to allow for MORE carbon buildup before problems happen. By enlarging the drain holes and increasing the piston ring tension. Modern engines run hot and poor quality oil will develop carbon.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

They change the design of the parts to allow for MORE carbon buildup before problems happen. By enlarging the drain holes and increasing the piston ring tension. Modern engines run hot and poor quality oil will develop carbon.

Given that CAFE requires them to make every reasonable action to make the in service vehicles the same as that in whch they were qualified and tested, then is THIS akin to dieselgate ?

backsliding the technology to a lower CAFE state....

Back