18 yo roof,roof vent and repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was helping my cousin do some stuff . we went into the attic and we noticed the osb where the dryer roof vent is rotten. don't know how long its been like that.

So his house is 18 yo and the original composite roof. he is thinking of just fixing that area and i suggested just getting a reroof as the roof is probably at the end of its life. Also, we would like to figure out why that area rotted. his house is 2 stories and the vent is way of top because his W/D is on the second floor .

So how long do composite roof usually last. better to just replace whole roof than a repair ?

Last edited:
Without pictures I would guess the humidity coming from the vent caused the wood to rot. And maybe use composite wood to replace the rotted wood is a good idea. Replace the whole roof....that's a decision your cousin will have to make.

Depends on the quality and weight of the roofing material they can run anywhere from 15 to 30 plus years.

But my guess is he will replace that roof this summer if he's smart.

Last edited:
I would reroute that dryer vent out the side instead of out the roof. I’ll bet the duct is plugged full of lint too. As for the roof, get on top and check the shingles. He may have a few years left which would give him a chance to save up.

Was the osb black with mold or actually crumbling away? Maybe the vent was improperly installed, or the vent is leaking humid air into that vent. You'll have to inspect the roof.

Depending on how bad the roof is you may be able to repair the area, or maybe you can just replace that section of shingles on that roof.

Usually southern roof exposures will deteriorate fastest.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Was the osb black with mold or actually crumbling away? Maybe the vent was improperly installed, or the vent is leaking humid air into that vent. You'll have to inspect the roof.

Depending on how bad the roof is you may be able to repair the area, or maybe you can just replace that section of shingles on that roof.

Usually southern roof exposures will deteriorate fastest.

both. there is black mold and its soft and crumbly. its not a small area, 2x2 feet . its the dryer vent for sure. can't see the vent from the outside unless we hop into the neighbors yard due to the angle.

he has a guy coming next week to look at it. i bet he is going to tell him to replace the roof.

At 18 yrs old, the roof is only 1/2 worn out. Is the roof pitched low enough to move around on safely? As roofs go, 2'x2' is a small area. Also it may be larger because you want to cut the OSB in the middle of a rafter. Splurge on a full sheet or have a big box store cut you the exact size you need. If they will sell you some tar paper and/or ice and water shield by the foot that would be awesome. Use a hammer and a catspaw to remove nails etc.A wall paper scraper makes a great tool to separate the tar dots. How are the shingles attached? Nails or staples? Try to remove the shingles intact. Push comes to shove, you may have to buy a bundle. Slide the paper underneath at the top and sides on top at the bottom Figure out what is up with the drier vent. If they are restricted, they create condensation in addition to wasted energy etc. Even expensive metal duct is lousy for dealing with lint. The ducts need at least yearly cleaning.

Use Ice & Water shield on all areas that needs flashing and valleys.
This type of material is not available 18 years ago.

If he decides to replace the roof, ask to use the Ice&Water shield also in addition to metal flashing and metal parts for anything coming out through the roof.

In theory roof should last 20-30 years for 30 years roof.
But if there is water seeping, something has failed so the age of the roof is determined by what failed first not just the roof materials.

Last edited:
I would also expect a roof in that part of the country to last a lot longer than 18 years, unless there is install issues, or really cheap materials (absolutely possible on any house built new).

update :

2 roofers came ams took a look at the roof. the one side where the vent is is pretty worn and they suggest replacement. one is a GLA rep and the other pabco and certainteed.

the work looks pretty close as is the warranty. the difference is the price. they is 5-7k difference depending on what grade of shingle is chosen.

thats quite a bit of difference. So are pabco stuff any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back