Pulling the Plunger on a Grease Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to do it but I wonder if it introduces air pockets into the grease. When the plunger is pulled, air fills up the gap between the grease and the plunger. When the plunger is released, this air has nowhere to go since the plunger acts as a one-way valve. Does this air leak out between the plunger rod and the plunger piston and thus escape?

You only pull the plunger when the cartridge is empty. Pull plunger, lock the shaft and unscrew. Pop out Pop in and shove plunger in, open purge valve, let air out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You only pull the plunger when the cartridge is empty. Pull plunger, lock the shaft and unscrew. Pop out Pop in and shove plunger in, open purge valve, let air out.

Yes..... and invert the grease gun and thump it a few times on the head against a piece of wood.

this gets the grease down towards the business end of the grease gun.

You pull the plunger and lock it to the side right before pulling the empty cartridge out. Remove the top with trigger assembly, pop in the new cartridge, pull the snack pack lid off, reinstall the trigger assembly, release the plunger, and loosen (not remove) the bleeder to let some grease out to purge the air.

NO, NO! Different scenario. This pulling of the plunger is to relieve pressure on the grease inside the gun so there is less oil bleed out.
This article was linked to in another post
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-
Quote from the article
" If a cartridge tube is left in a grease gun, the grease gun should be depressurized, wiped with a clean cloth to remove any contaminants and stored in a horizontal position inside a clean, cool, dry area to keep the oil from bleeding out of the grease."

Originally Posted By: George7941
NO, NO! Different scenario. This pulling of the plunger is to relieve pressure on the grease inside the gun so there is less oil bleed out.
This article was linked to in another post
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28761/storing-grease-to-avoid-bleed-separation-
Quote from the article
" If a cartridge tube is left in a grease gun, the grease gun should be depressurized, wiped with a clean cloth to remove any contaminants and stored in a horizontal position inside a clean, cool, dry area to keep the oil from bleeding out of the grease."

The only high pressure area is in the hose, the grease in the tube is pressurized by a SPRING, it's only enough to push up the grease to the piston pump. So just release the pressure in the hose is good enough for me.

If I was worried about oil separation I would store my grease gun in my refrigerator.
smile.gif
Leaving the shaft pulled will get the shaft dirty and that will get into the grease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back