what would you do / expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so as many of you know I have had a fair amount of issues with tire vibrations.
1 few months back I bought a set of sumitomo htr p02 225/40r18. I had zero vibrations drove all the way to Colorado without an issue. I rotated them for the first time the other day front to back and back to front. and had a vibration at highway speeds 70-75mph I didn't go any faster than that. I had them re balanced today by NTB which is where I bought them. they feel better but still do vibrate enough to move the steering wheel. Without giving me a bad attitude what would you do? when I came home I swapped wheels with the other dart and with her tires and wheels i had no vibration. So its in the wheel tire combo like it has been every time in the past. is it possible this car is very particular with tire run out? is there any manufacturer with stricter run out variation than others.
How would you go about solving this issue once and for all?

Go back to NTB and tell them the issue that you just described. Hopefully they'll put one or two new tires on it. Let them take care of it. Talk to the store manager from the beginning since they have the most authorization for new tires. A service advisor will first try to give you the run around to get rid of you.

Well, it seems from what you have said that it is more than likely one of the front tires. I would have NTB road force the two front tires and see what they were and if they could be reduced. If anyone said the words “in spec” I’d ask to talk to someone with a clue preferably a supervisor with a clue, but that can be a rare combination.

It could be worse:

IMG_6601.jpg

IME Yokohama is usually quite uniform and recently had very good luck with BFG and Mich Premier.

Are these OEM wheels?

Rotate the left side. Any vibrations? If not, rotate the right side. Any vibrations? If so then there's your problem wheel.

Oem wheels yes. And car has never been in an accident. The rocker panel had to be fixed it was hit with a curb but that's not relevant to this I don't think.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Oem wheels yes. And car has never been in an accident. The rocker panel had to be fixed it was hit with a curb but that's not relevant to this I don't think.

If the rocker hit a curb I'd guess that a wheel could have too. Bent wheel would result.

Swap the two sides independently and determine the guilty wheel. Do more diagnostics from there.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If the rocker hit a curb I'd guess that a wheel could have too. Bent wheel would result.

Swap the two sides independently and determine the guilty wheel. Do more diagnostics from there.

wheel never touched the curb it was a freak deal turned to sharp out of a parking spot forgetting the curb was there and caught it. As soon as I heard it scrape I stopped. Was doing 1mph.
I swapped left side and had no change and the. Swapped right and vibration is gone steering wheel is smooth. That's also the wheel with the most weight on it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

wheel never touched the curb it was a freak deal turned to sharp out of a parking spot forgetting the curb was there and caught it. As soon as I heard it scrape I stopped. Was doing 1mph.
I swapped left side and had no change and the. Swapped right and vibration is gone steering wheel is smooth. That's also the wheel with the most weight on it.

Well you know what it is, how much is a refinished one on eBay or elsewhere?

Ive generally found new OE to be around $400; refinished about half that.

It's around $600 new. I really doubt it's the wheel I've had this issue so much with various tires. I'm almost certain it's a tire issue like usual.
I wonder what happens if they dont have the tire in stock....I didn't see it on their website.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
You have a bent wheel. When the wheel is on the back on the car you will not feel the vibration in the steering wheel.

But this issue has happened before. the exact issue and it's always been tires. Needless to say I'm skeptical of a bent wheel.. because of all the tire issues I've had. a tire out balance on the rear wouldn't be as noticable or at all either.

start with a re-balance. make sure they use the road force balancer if they have one. My local DT has one but does not use it unless they "have to"

Have them dismount the tire, rotate it 180 degrees, and rebalance it. When it's spinning on the balancer, it will be very obvious if the rim is bent or not.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
You have a bent wheel. When the wheel is on the back on the car you will not feel the vibration in the steering wheel.

But this issue has happened before. the exact issue and it's always been tires. Needless to say I'm skeptical of a bent wheel.. because of all the tire issues I've had. a tire out balance on the rear wouldn't be as noticable or at all either.

Find a way to watch them spin the wheel on the balancer or do it yourself on the rear axle. Bent wheel or egg-shaped tire, I bet.

When you keep buying tires and keep getting vibrations, that doesn't leave many other options.

Sometimes you are just so bullheaded, its just sad.
Let me point out all the things in common that YOU have said that limit the trouble to just one wheel:

1 few months back I bought a set of sumitomo htr p02 225/40r18.
I had zero vibrations drove all the way to Colorado without an issue.
I rotated them for the first time the other day front to back and back to front. and had a vibration at highway speeds 70-75mph

I swapped left side and had no change and then Swapped right and vibration is gone steering wheel is smooth.
That's also the wheel with the most weight on it.

I really doubt it's the wheel I've had this issue so much with various tires.
I'm almost certain it's a tire issue like usual.

Your last line sums it up quite clearly.
When the wheel with the most balancing weights gets put on the front left, you get a shimmy.
When its on the back of the car, no shimmy.

This problem pops up when you have new tires mounted, and the offending wheel gets put on the front of the car, or when you rotate that wheel to the front.

I don't understand why you refuse to accept the truth.
Take 1 wheel from your wifes car and swap it with your wheel with the most weights, if they are the same size, or better yet, take your spare tire, and replace it. See if the shimmy goes away.

Just because you don't want it to be the wheel doesn't mean that its the tires.
You've been crying tire for months now, and the Sumitomos are a fantastic tire, and you didn't feel a shimmy until you rotated the bad wheel to the front of the car.

Stop ignoring the truth:
You have a bad wheel, and you know it.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Sometimes you are just so bullheaded, its just sad.
Let me point out all the things in common that YOU have said that limit the trouble to just one wheel:

1 few months back I bought a set of sumitomo htr p02 225/40r18.
I had zero vibrations drove all the way to Colorado without an issue.
I rotated them for the first time the other day front to back and back to front. and had a vibration at highway speeds 70-75mph

I swapped left side and had no change and then Swapped right and vibration is gone steering wheel is smooth.
That's also the wheel with the most weight on it.

I really doubt it's the wheel I've had this issue so much with various tires.
I'm almost certain it's a tire issue like usual.

Your last line sums it up quite clearly.
When the wheel with the most balancing weights gets put on the front left, you get a shimmy.
When its on the back of the car, no shimmy.

This problem pops up when you have new tires mounted, and the offending wheel gets put on the front of the car, or when you rotate that wheel to the front.

I don't understand why you refuse to accept the truth.
Take 1 wheel from your wifes car and swap it with your wheel with the most weights, if they are the same size, or better yet, take your spare tire, and replace it. See if the shimmy goes away.

Just because you don't want it to be the wheel doesn't mean that its the tires.
You've been crying tire for months now, and the Sumitomos are a fantastic tire, and you didn't feel a shimmy until you rotated the bad wheel to the front of the car.

Stop ignoring the truth:
You have a bad wheel, and you know it.

BC.

Uhmmm I replaced that tire today and the vibration is gone.......so it's not the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back