Mazda 3, Impreza or Civic hatchback.. Which one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between these 3 hatchbacks with 4 cylinder engines and manual transmission.... which one would you choose and why ?

I've narrowed my search down to these 3 cars and will test drive soon.
Any other cars I should consider ?

Prob not the Subaru since it comes with AWD and you don't need that in FL. Hard to beat the manual in the Honda and it comes with 1.5T engine in the hatchback as standard equipment. Which should be fun although they do have fuel dilution issues. Because of that I may have to go with the Mazda 3. Plus no turbo engine to wonder about.

Unless your talking about the Type R civic; none of the above. Golf Sportwagen. I wouldn't trade my car for any of the other three.

If choosing between those three, The Honda Civic, hands down...…..Now if the Toyota Corolla was part of your list, THAT would be my hand's down winner!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
If choosing between those three, The Honda Civic, hands down...…..Now if the Toyota Corolla was part of your list, THAT would be my hand's down winner!
grin.gif

Id go Impreza or Civic. I agree with point #2 though, but we are clearly biased lol!

Mazda3 or Civic; drive them both and pick your favorite. I'd probably go with an Si since Mazda abandoned the warm/hot hatch market.

Originally Posted By: dareo
Unless your talking about the Type R civic; none of the above. Golf Sportwagen. I wouldn't trade my car for any of the other three.

The Civic hatch Sport is pretty cool. Different wheels and an upgraded exhaust that adds a few more HP, etc... Although OP doesn't like black colored wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Golf over any of these, its just a better car. In the snow belt Subaru AWD but for you that's not needed.

This. I know it isn't one of the cars requested by the OP, but even the better SE trim with 5 speed manual can be had for a deep discount. Not to mention the 1.8T has proven itself reliable. The 2018's 6 year warranty is nice to have as well (in before the you're gonna need it fanclub). Other than that I would probably have the Mazda...

Civic? I'd test drive both the LX and the Sport model. The LX has a 174 HP 1.5L turbo engine running on 87 octane. The Sport model
has 180 HP. Only 6 more, but requires 91 octane. The Sport model might have a better tune and be a better feeling engine while the LX is tuned
more on the side of safety due to 87 octane.
Forget the Impreza, it's a pig. I rented a Nissan versa that felt faster, even though on paper it's not.

Only if I was wanting a Civic with the 2.0, I'd took a closer look at a Mazda3.

Do drive the Mazda first. Then see how much better it is to drive the turbo cars. I don't know how you can beat a VW Golf these days. Either you get a massive discount on a 2017, or a long warranty on a 2018. A 2018 would still be thousands cheaper than Honda. Golf is super light, great stock suspension-comfort and sport at the same time-

As good as the Mazda 3 is; there is little point in buying a new one. They haven't changed much vs years past.

If you want to keep it for a long time, get the one without direct injection.

Which is.... Hyundai Elantra. It usually offers more bang (features) for the buck.

My choice would be the Mazda.

You can't get a Civic hatch with a sunroof and a manual transmission in the US (but you can in Canada), and the main attraction to Subaru is AWD which is not needed in Florida.

Mazda's worst problem is rust, but that isn't an issue in Florida, either
smile.gif

Mazda’s SkyActiv engines have shown to be less vulnerable to fuel dilution than most other GDI engines. In the end, it’s not our opinion that should make your decision, it should be the car that fits you the best and the one you enjoy.

Test drive all 3. I am a little biased as i bought a 18 Civic Si 3 weeks ago. I love the 6 speed and the way it handles! Getting 27mpg in 90% city driving. Good luck with your new purchase!

The Subie offers no real advantage in a place that never sees winter driving conditions and current Subaru sticks are said to be awful.
The Honda is likely to be overpriced and good luck finding a stick.
That leaves the Mazda.
As others have noted, you can buy a VW for dirt cheap, but VWs don't have the greatest reliability rep out there.
Sorry, but it is what it is.
There are also Korean badged cars that you might consider and you might also consider a Fit, the current versions of which are absolutely huge and also offer very useful interior space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back