Yamaha Grizzly 660 ATV oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, I have a 2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and gets the oil changed annually. Previously have used either WIX or FRAM motorcycle filters which are pretty spendy and as I understand it, are just basic filters in a tougher housing for motorcycle use and durability. I've read a few threads on here where people loosely stated that certain automotive filters can work on an ATV. What I want to know, if there's a FRAM Ultra part number that can work on this machine? (I don't remember the filter number it has on it, but it only cross references to other motorcycle specific filters when I looked last year, nothing automotive.) Then maybe I'd leave it on for 2 years and change the oil only annually.
ATV gets a diet of Rotella T6 that still looks and smells good after a year and probably realistically can go longer but I change it anyway since it's relatively easy to do and inexpensive. The filter itself is in a tucked away, protected location so I'm not exactly worried about the less durable casing of an automotive filter here. I mainly want the extra efficiency and durability of the FU element itself so I can safely run it at least two years. Changing the filter is a bit of a messy ordeal and if I'm going to experiment with running one filter for a couple OCI's, this is how I want to do it. Traditionally, I change the filter every OCI on my vehicles but since the ATV doesn't see much use all year long, I see no reason not to run a filter longer so long as it is up to the task. I'm just not comfortable leaving traditional paper element filters in place more than a year as I believe that media breaks down a lot soaking in used oil all that time.

Thanks for the help, BITOG comrades!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I'm going to experiment with running one filter for a couple OCI's,.... Traditionally, I change the filter every OCI on my vehicles but since the ATV doesn't see much use all year long, I see no reason not to run a filter longer so long as it is up to the task.

I ran Fram motorcycle filters for 10,000 OFCI
on my Suzuki Marauder for 84,000 miles (usually 2X OCI)

I got a half dozen polaris filters that crossed over to my brothers grizzly 700 once, offered them him for free. He declined Because they were for a polaris

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'm going to experiment with running one filter for a couple OCI's,.... Traditionally, I change the filter every OCI on my vehicles but since the ATV doesn't see much use all year long, I see no reason not to run a filter longer so long as it is up to the task.

Did you cut any open? How'd they look if so?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Did you cut any open? How'd they look if so?

I always did - they always looked great.

The black Fram "motorcycle" filters are built very similar to Wix (if not actually made BY wix?!?!?)

They are not built anything at all like the "orange cans" - not even close.

I started FCI x2 in my Honda's cause they've looked pristine every OCI..I buy the red media ones on e.bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back