nice red ATF always good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think like engine oil the additives could get used up but still retain the nice red color. Guess the only way to know for certain is with a uoa. Just my opinion.

Are you referring to Mistubishi/Hyundai SP III or just regular? SP III is a different kind of red, like no other...

This is in a Ford Explorer Sport Trac where it would be expected to be red. I have about 50,000 miles on the fluid.

If your manual says to change it at 50k miles than I would change it. The thing is most tranny oil filters are the weak point cause the oil has changed but not most filters. Otherwise I would say it would be ok.

Agree, but the manual doesn't say change it at 50,000 miles. Its at 150,000 miles till they say change it. Agree that it might too long, so that is why I came to ask.

Not all transmissions are equal. Some are much stronger and can run on mud. Fords aren't known for long lived transmissions in general. A 50k drain and fill sounds reasonable to me. ATF is cheap compared to a trans. What does the fluid smell like?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
As a general rule yes. Fluid changes color over time or from excessive heat.

Yes.

Excessive Heat is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the #1 killer of auto trans.

Nice & bright red = never been hot enough to change color.

Originally Posted By: Joshontech
The thing is most tranny oil filters are the weak point cause the oil has changed but not most filters.

This really isn't true at all.

Most trans filters are simply "rock catchers".
Most won't filter below 100 microns, and many are FAR worse than that.

A GOOD condition trans will NEVER plug its filter.

If you find a plugged filter, it's because the dying trans plugged it...
......... NOT the "other way around"

OK, I realize the 50,000 mile number is key to this thread but really, how can you omit the vehicle's year? Just askin'.

50K is 50K. Change your juice.

Did a father & son duo of Ford trannie D&F's at 56K and 52K; '97 F-150 and '04 Explorer respectively.

MerconV in both. Both their fluids were a bit darkened with dirt but was still red and didn't smell. Nothing changed except for the knowledge gained.

And thanks to Ford for removing the dipstick on the Explorer's V6.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Joshontech
The thing is most tranny oil filters are the weak point cause the oil has changed but not most filters.

This really isn't true at all.

Most trans filters are simply "rock catchers".
Most won't filter below 100 microns, and many are FAR worse than that.

A GOOD condition trans will NEVER plug its filter.

If you find a plugged filter, it's because the dying trans plugged it...
......... NOT the "other way around"

For this reason I change my external (20 micron) yearly and the pan filter every 3 years … the pan was so clean last time I could go longer …

35.gif
36.gif

Rule of thumb for the BITOG members: Three times more often than the manufacturer says.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
35.gif
36.gif

Rule of thumb for the BITOG members: Three times more often than the manufacturer says.

What is 3 times more often than never?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
35.gif
36.gif

Typical vehicle (designed) lifespan is 150k, give or take--so every 50k.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Agree, but the manual doesn't say change it at 50,000 miles. Its at 150,000 miles till they say change it. Agree that it might too long, so that is why I came to ask.

Change it at 75k miles and every 75k thereafter. Thats playing it nice and safe!

Originally Posted By: Kira
OK, I realize the 50,000 mile number is key to this thread but really, how can you omit the vehicle's year? Just askin'.

50K is 50K. Change your juice.

Did a father & son duo of Ford trannie D&F's at 56K and 52K; '97 F-150 and '04 Explorer respectively.

MerconV in both. Both their fluids were a bit darkened with dirt but was still red and didn't smell. Nothing changed except for the knowledge gained.

And thanks to Ford for removing the dipstick on the Explorer's V6.
Its a 2004. I didn't know that makes a big difference in an answer. My sport trac is living a pretty easy life. No serious off road, no trailer hitch, I hauled rocks a few times for about 10 miles each, so it only had 3 miles in some heavy hauling. It has the 4.0L V6 with 5R55 trans. I think. Also mine does have a transmission fluid dipstick. Mine is hidden under a coolant hose and requires that you push it out of the way to get to it.

35.gif
36.gif

3 lifetimes.

Originally Posted By: supton
35.gif
36.gif

Typical vehicle (designed) lifespan is 150k, give or take--so every 50k.

Or warranty might only be 60k …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back