Mazda 2.3 spark plugs w/ 2 cycle oil 68k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the OEM spark plugs from my 2007 Mazda 3 with 2.3l engine. The plugs have 68k miles with the last 45k miles using 2 cycle oil in the gas at approximately 1oz per 5 gallons, usually a little more. Look pretty good to me, gap was exact across all 4 at .050. I hope this debunks the internet myth that 2 cycle oil in a 4 cycle engine causes fouling or excessive carbon buildup. 2 cycle oil used is Pennzoil Marine XLF synthetic blend. Replaced with NGK IX 4344, LTR5IX-11, gapped to .040.

There was a guy on here that showed his piston tops on his 4 wheeler running the same formula as you and it looked like new.

If u could do a boroscope with the same results..i dont think anyone has done it yet in an auto...

And the benefit of the two stroke oil in the fuel is...?

I pre-mix the fuel for my Rotary RX-8 but the engine is designed to burn oil. A regular piston engine doesn't need it.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
using 2 cycle oil in the gas at approximately 1oz per 5 gallons... I hope this debunks the internet myth that 2 cycle oil in a 4 cycle engine causes fouling or excessive carbon buildup

That is such a low rate, you would NEVER EVER foul plugs at that rate

Originally Posted By: oldhp
They look good to me.......I might have run'em 30K longer.

Same here - clean the thread and put them back in again

Originally Posted By: oldhp
They look good to me.......I might have run'em 30K longer.

Yep re-gap, a little anti-seeze, and keep running; nothing wrong with those plugs.

I know I could have run them longer, but I already bought new plugs; wasn’t going to do the job and not replace them. Is running 2 cycle oil necessary? No, it isn’t, but the engine does run smoother with it.
I first heard of the idea of doing this from this forum years ago and started premixing oil in the gas and these are the results. Many people have said it would create carbon build up and fouling of plugs even with this small dosage. Here’s my proof that it does not. Take it for what it’s worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back