What keeps you in touch with Grandparents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wandering what people do on BITOG to keep in touch with there Grandparents on a daily/weekly etc... if they lost them. Both my sets of Grandparents have passed & to keep a daily reminder of them -- I have both sets of Grandparents pictures of them together as a couple sitting on one corner each of my credenza. I also use my one Grandmothers set of silver ware on a daily basis.

Dale

Photos are KING! I have 'em but I gotta add that there are artifacts around the house which were theirs and always spark a reminder when used.

Examples include knife handles and picture frames made by GrandpaX, jewelry worn by GrandmaY, tools (Thanks Dad, I've replaced the ones I broke), letters.

The list goes on.

The Ouija board didn't work a lick.

Dale: I still have my grandpa on dads side zippo lighter that saved his life in World War II.

I have my grandma on moms side haps or large quilts I use in winter months.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Growing up I only had 1 Grandfather and a Great-grandmother.

Today I remember them with my memories.

My Aunts & Uncles are now in their 80's and I enjoy (very much) going to their house and doing odd chores for them.
I always do the best work I'm capable of and only charge them for materials.

When I finish the work, I always take the time to sit and talk (I know they enjoy that).

Soon these Aunts & Uncles won't be around and but I'll have my memories of them.

My grand a parents were gone way before I was born. I do have an unusual story about my mom. Her name was Luna. A few months after she passed my wife and I went to dinner in another town then to a hardware store in that town. We we're looking for a bigger hand dolly with bigger wheels.

They didn't have one so we left. On the way home I saw,in my lane a large hand dolly just like we need. We took it home and immediatly put it on our areas lost and found. No takers.

It was made by the Luna caster and truck company.
Ain't that weird.
http://www.lunacastertruck.com/

Last edited:
Sadly we haven't seen much of our remaining grandmothers. Life gets in the way, as does distance. And life has not been kind to them in their final years.

My kids grandparents (our parents) are also long distance, but they can still travel to visit us at times (and we do likewise); wife has Facebook & uses that for keeping in touch.

Grandmother on my mom's side actually lives right beside us! When we moved into this place the house next door was empty and just so happens the guy who owns our house bought it. I cleaned it out, did a good bit of work, and I do any repairs so she has discounted rent. It's a good and bad thing sometimes, lol. But, there will come a day where I wish she was bugging me.

Grandparents on my dads side live about 45 min down the road, but it's on a route I take to get to the shopping center so I stop by there every couple weeks when I go shopping.

I'm 43. My grandmother on my Dad's side passed in 1947, and my grandfather in 1966. On my Mom's side, I lost my grandfather when I was 3 in 1978, but at least had my grandmother until 1995. My wife is 36 and has already lost both parents, and my Mom passed 3 years ago. Still have my Dad, although he is in very fragile condition these days.

Pictures rule, as do trips to the grave sites. I've tried to keep things that have been passed down in the family, such as old china place settings and such. It's hard though, especially when cleaning out houses because you just can't keep everything, and deciding what to keep and what can't be kept really tugs at the heart strings.

I had 1 grandma and the others had passed before I was born. Grandma Alice always did crochet while rocking in her old chair in the kitchen
next to her oil burning furnace. My wife and I got married in early 1988 and Grandma died a couple weeks later before we were able to say goodbye.
Grandma had left a doily with my mother for a wedding gift that she had made for us. Always regret not getting to see her one last time.

Kind of funny part- My wife had the Doily framed real nice so we could preserve and display it. My wife has it hung in the bathroom, above the toilet. Grandma would be happy because she had an outhouse except for the last 5 years of her life and i'm happy because I get to see it a couple times a day and it makes me think of her.

Lost my last grand parent in 2003. Like many, I have photos and even letters from some to remind me, but mostly I just think about them quite often...same with my parents as they both are gone too...

Originally Posted By: car51
I have my grandma ...large quilts I use in winter months.
smile.gif

I also have some of Grandma's quilts.

I wish more women learned that skill.

Grandparents gone. Parents gone. All uncles and aunts gone and I'm not feeling too hot myself. Entropy is so devastating to all animate and inanimate things.Rolls down the millenia with the same inevitability as the other laws of nature. Order to chaos.

We were closest to my grandmother (my mom's mom). My brother,sister,and I grew up around her. We lost her when I was around 35 (I'm 49 now). I still think about her and dream about her all the time.

I've got a little area (actually a cubby house that was out the back of the new house) that's set up as an ancestor altar.

Have a photo of both sets of grandparents at my Parent's wedding...so it's a "good days" picture. Along with my Dad, my Wife's mother, and Garry Allen.

Sit out there every couple of weeks, and think about them, and their wisdom. Wife still misses her mother terribly, and sometimes finder her out there out there seeking guidance. When my daughter is struggling with Dad's suicide, she'll hide out there with a guitar and sing to him.

Probably TMI...but that's how we roll.

I never knew my paternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother died when I was 13. I had maternal great-grandmothers until I was 24. Both my maternal grandparents passed away last year, so I was fortunate to have had them until I was into my 50's.

HA! same here. My grandfathers died when my parents were children during the Great Depression. My grandmothers died while I was in elementary school. We lived 800+ miles away from the My parents died about 30 years ago when I was in my 20's. My last remaining relative of that generation, an aunt by marriage, died in 2015. We did not live geograpically close to any of my aunts / uncles / cousins while I was growing up - the nearest were 250 miles away.

I don't have pics of any of them mounted anywhere. My memory is still plenty sharp. I like to think their better qualities live kn in me by example. I take full ownership my less stelkar qualities are solely my own responsibility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back