Electronics Experts - Honda Civic AC/Heater Blower

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today AC/Heater blower fan stopped out of the blue for my 2003 Civic, was working flawlessly.

Based on quick search, seems like an issue :

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-2001-2005-78/diy-how-fix-ac-power-transistor-2041582/

Does anyone know if soldering a resistor safe or no? Should I use a thermal fuse or a plain wire? Radioshack is gone, anywhere else I can locally get the part?

I have already removed the part and getting an infinite resistance between 2 contacts.

Thanks for the help
thumbsup2.gif

That's just a fancy name for the blower resistor. Why not just get a new one? They're cheap.

That's no transistor. The thermistor is likely for current limiting. The thermistor will change resitance with temperature. They are cheap and I would just get the original part.BUT if you are determined,you could put a fixed resitor(of proper resistance and power rating) in its place. I wouldn't just place it across the thermistor without removing it. If that thermistor is good and you place a fixed value component in parallel with it, you would lower the overall resistance in the circuit causing a problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
That's no transistor. The thermistor is likely for current limiting. The thermistor will change resitance with temperature. They are cheap and I would just get the original part.BUT if you are determined,you could put a fixed resitor(of proper resistance and power rating) in its place. I wouldn't just place it across the thermistor without removing it. If that thermistor is good and you place a fixed value component in parallel with it, you would lower the overall resistance in the circuit causing a problem.

Not sure, how easy is to remove the thermistor?

The module depends on airflow from the fan to not overheat. Check for mouse nest in the ductwork, blocked cabin air filter, failing motor bearings, etc. that caused the overheating in the first place.

Last edited:
Do you have an electronics component store near you? There are a couple of online vendors like Mouser but I've never ordered from them.

On a side note, if it's a standard 4 speed blower (not continuously variable) then I only ever replace the resistor packs with this 'solid ceramic block' style

They're the most reliable units I've ever dealt with. Last conversion was on a GM with that stupid thin PC board style resistor, where several watts of heat are supposed to dissipate through a freakin circuit board. Glad I'll never have to go back in there ever again.

These are a transistor not a resistor. The control panel has a click knob with 4 speed settings, but internally it is digital and uses PWM to the transistor.

Ah thanks mk378, I didn't know what style it used. Seems Honda consolidated down to a single logic-based part, regardless of trim level/market ie. fixed speeds vs variable fan auto climate control

Originally Posted By: mk378
These are a transistor not a resistor. The control panel has a click knob with 4 speed settings, but internally it is digital and uses PWM to the transistor.

Transistors have three leads or two and the case(collector), I do not see that in the picture. As suggested, I would just get an OEM part and be done with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back