Toyota Differential fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota specs 80w90 for the front, and their crazy expensive 75W85 for the rear. Would be almost $70 for 2 qts. Is that really necessary? Some dealers don't even have the cans of it.

Use 75W90 front and rear and don't worry. I used Valvoline Synpower 75W90 in the rear differential in a WRX I bought new.
Napa and Auto Zone has it.

I think Redline makes a 75W85...and it costs around $15/qt which I think would at least keep you compliant for warranty reasons.

But the actual Toyota branded 75W85 is absurdly expensive.

Toyota oem fluid is not necessary. You can run 75w90 or 80w90 in both front & rear w no issues. If u run 80w90, change it more often

It is not necessary. I asked my Toyota dealer what they use and they told me mobil 1 75w-90 with a “packet of LS fluid additive”. I asked you even need the additive if the fluid comes with it already? They said yes

What's inside the diff? If it's a straight up open diff then I have to think it doesn't care much about what it has for lube (no clutches needing modifiers etc).

Originally Posted By: pda1122
It is not necessary. I asked my Toyota dealer what they use and they told me mobil 1 75w-90 with a “packet of LS fluid additive”. I asked you even need the additive if the fluid comes with it already? They said yes
Why?

My Explorer needed it too even though Valvoline fluid has it. It made a slight rubbing noise in slow turns, added 1/2 bottle and it is fine now.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I just bought Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. No issues for 30K miles on my last fill.

So you put that in the front and rear?

Originally Posted By: NH73
Why?

Why use LS fluid additive? Grinding noises I guess. I don’t know specifics but I think it’s some kind of friction modifier and apparently isn’t enough in the fluid over the counter

One of the local dealers here uses MOC Gear Guard 75W140 on all customer-pay differential services.

I would still encourage using 75W85. Redline makes a good product for $15/qt.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I just bought Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. No issues for 30K miles on my last fill.

So you put that in the front and rear?

Ran Amsoil Severe Gear for my diff and x-case for an entire 100K interval and it served very well.
There is nothing in the market better than Amsoil and will serve very very well and reasonably priced ($15/Q)

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Ran Amsoil Severe Gear for my diff and x-case for an entire 100K interval and it served very well.
There is nothing in the market better than Amsoil and will serve very very well and reasonably priced ($15/Q)

Just about ANY synthetic gear oil can do that!! Are you really saying the Amsoil is better than Delvac 1/Mobil 1, Motul, Redline, Royal Purple & all the other synthetic gear oils? Come on man....Differentials have been living 200,000 with 80w90 Dino gear oils & no maintenance since the 60's.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Just about ANY synthetic gear oil can do that!!

Concur, diff and x-case are dumb mechanical components, any fluid can hold up.
EOD its money, availability and preference when it comes to fluids.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I've had Mobil 1 75w90 in my 2002 Tacoma's rear diff for about 100K miles. No additive necessary. No issues.

But does it have LSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back