Napa full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find more information on the Napa full synthetic oils. I was told by the local Napa it is made by Valvoline. Is this oil the same as Valvoline or made by Valvoline to Napa's specs? And, is it good oil? I've also been told the Napa oil is not good enough for turbos (Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Transit van in my case). Can't elaborate on that other than it breaks down quicker due to the higher temps. With that, I don't run this motor hard. Mainly highway use and I pretty much baby it and drive conservatively. Oil changes every 5000 miles. Is there better oil I should be using? Thanks for any info.

I believe the consensus is that Napa's syn is Valvoline Synpower with a slightly weaker add pack. I don't think it'd make a dime's worth of difference in your case.

If your going to use 5W30, I'd pick something Dexos 1 gen 2. The most recent Dexos 1 gen 2 oils have a higher flash point than oils
from 5 years ago. Napa has good sales on quart bottles of their own brand oils, but I would use something a little better in that engine.
Walmart has good pricing on oils in 5 quart jugs. The majors don't make formula differences in name brand oils for Walmart vs Napa or Auto Zone.

go to the PQIA site and look at the motor oil summary page. It gives the specs and is made by Valvoline. I have been using it for ten years. Really good stuff. I bought 4 cases of 5w20 when it was on sale for 2.99 a qt.

I must read up on these new oils. What "Dexos1-generation 2" means is something I do not know.

Is there a Dexos 2? I assume these "new" designations pertain to turbocharged engines and direct injection engines.

Originally Posted By: moto367
I'm trying to find more information on the Napa full synthetic oils. I was told by the local Napa it is made by Valvoline. Is this oil the same as Valvoline or made by Valvoline to Napa's specs? And, is it good oil? I've also been told the Napa oil is not good enough for turbos (Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Transit van in my case). Can't elaborate on that other than it breaks down quicker due to the higher temps. With that, I don't run this motor hard. Mainly highway use and I pretty much baby it and drive conservatively. Oil changes every 5000 miles. Is there better oil I should be using? Thanks for any info.

Well you might want to take a look at this UOA someone that doesn't know what they are talking about has been feeding you a line of B. S. !

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4664185/'11_Toyota_Sienna_Napa_Full_Sy#Post4664185

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have not seen the NAPA synthetic on sale in awhile. It's in both of my Subaru but neither is a turbo.

It should be about ready to come back on sale I bought it for $3.49 a quart a couple months back.

Last edited:
I've also been told the Napa oil is not good enough for turbos (Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Transit van in my case). Can't elaborate on that other than it breaks down quicker due to the higher temps.
What oil spec does the owners manual recommend? The factory fill is a semisyn. If the oil has the recommended specs and is a major brand the will be good to go link to eco boost

Originally Posted By: Kira
I must read up on these new oils. What "Dexos1-generation 2" means is something I do not know.

Is there a Dexos 2? I assume these "new" designations pertain to turbocharged engines and direct injection engines.
The oils have been tweaked to lower the incidents of low speed preignition .

Get something dexos1gen2. It was designed for this application. I like getting the right part for the job, no questions asked.

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower. It can handle 5k with no problems
smile.gif

Add pack is not quite the same as Valvoline. But I know of many drivers using it for 6-7K OCIs and only buy the NAPA when it's on sale $2.99-$3.49.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Add pack is not quite the same as Valvoline. But I know of many drivers using it for 6-7K OCIs and only buy the NAPA when it's on sale $2.99-$3.49.

I run it out to 7.5k in the wife's Journey (3.6). Never had a UOA done but I feel pretty confident it is doing just fine.

When I bought some NAPA oil on sale I talked to the guy behind the counter about his opinions on the oil. He and I shared the same viewpoint. The NAPA oil likely uses the same base stock oil for bottling oil for NAPA. It is possible that the add pack may be changed a bit but that doesn't really matter in the end. The oil still meets Dexos standards in the full synthetic. The Napa conventional now is labeled as a synthetic blend. (VWB isn't labeled as such so far.) Both work for me quite well and both are in my stash. Neither of my vehicles require Dexos oils so either works for my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back