Oil Theory's, Vs other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are all here to talk about opinions about oil, and everything in between. We all seem to study the specs, UOAs, etc

Now when it comes to other things, do you guys do the same thing? Like Samsung vs lg in a new washing machine? Well this one offers this for 950, well this one lacks this, but offers this for 975 and study nand analysis a product months in advance of a purchase?

I know some who do zero research and go yup, that one looks great sold, vs look over their and there a better deal right below your eyes

I spend a lot of time looking for what I want, then decide it's not worth it and continue to wait. I do this for years, then finally give in and buy what I want. I buy nearly top-tier electronics and a mix of upper and lower tier tools, depending on use and how long I need it to last. I waited a whole year on a TV and ended up getting the same TV I wanted for a lot less, because the one-tier-down Samsung TV had similar features to the previous year's top-tier TV. I purchase high-end routers and modems, because I'd rather not pay for 100 mbps and be bottle necked now or in the future by an inferior piece of gear; UI is usually better and features/updates more prevalent with higher-end gear, too. When it's expensive, I spend a lot of time hemming and hawing over features and whether I really need to upgrade/purchase this year/this time.

With that said, I do make impulsive purchases, especially when it's cheap. A few examples: I purchased a mechanics stethoscope for $13, a two-sided whetstone for $21, Castrol Edge 0W-40 for $21/5qt, etc.

I needed a stethoscope to trouble-shoot a rattle in my previous vehicle, and didn't do much research when I found a cheap option (got tired of using a length of fuel line to "hear" closer to components or using a long screwdriver pressed one one end to the component, with my ear at the other end). Our knives have been dull for too long, so I impulsively purchased a 3000/8000 grit stone with wood stand and angle guide for $21, when it showed on sale. I purchased two jugs of Edge on sale, because I don't have any more oil for the FXT; even though it was cheaper by a dollar not too long ago, $21 is a very good deal, and I'm covered for the next year.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I waited a whole year on a TV and ended up getting the same TV I wanted for a lot less, because the one-tier-down Samsung TV had similar features to the previous year's top-tier TV.

YEP!

Never be the first buyer of a new generation product.
Let other people work out the bugs for you, and pay for "bringing to market" costs.
The best deal is when they get discounted on closeout.

I'm not your steriotypical OCD type like most others on this site, I'm a bottom feeder and usually picking my way through things other people discard, or don't want...and that includes oil, and motor vehicles. I've got a Windows 10 phone now - not because I wanted a Windows 10 phone, but because my son didn't.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I'm not your steriotypical OCD type like most others on this site, I'm a bottom feeder and usually picking my way through things other people discard, or don't want...and that includes oil, and motor vehicles. I've got a Windows 10 phone now - not because I wanted a Windows 10 phone, but because my son didn't.

And you're ahead of all of us. I've scavenged some things, but my tastes are richer than they need to be. The Samsung TV I mentioned earlier replaced a free 10 year-old Sony rear projection 1080i TV. I got it for free; well, I had to replace the bulb for $40 or something like that. I got 3-4 years out of that and sold it for $50 when I was done with it. The TV I bought, the Samsung, was $2k. I hope it will last for a long, long time. It looks as good as the day I got it, and still looks better than every single cheaper TV I see in the stores, even the no-name 4K TV's.

So, knowing myself, I got a TV with the features I wanted, a year after they were made available in a higher tier version, and on discount. Had I purchased a cheap TV, I think that I would have replaced it by now with something else. I envy you, sir.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The reincarnation of "Merk"........

Welcome back!

Definitely a reincarnation but I’m not sure which one yet.

Things I never dreamed of doing before BITOG.

Buy Pennzoil, Fram or put diesel oil in gas engine.

Things I've done/about to do since coming to BITOG.

Last oil change in car I used PYB. Upcoming spring OCI's include Fram TG filters and some T5 for my truck.

Very seldom do I buy things willy nilly without doing some research.

Last edited:
Last Christmas I was visiting some friends in The Yook and they cited as evidence of my weirdness checking the quality of the welds inside a stainless steel thermos flask with a pen-torch.

Seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

(I didn't buy it. The welds weren't good enough.)

I'm looking to get a new motorcycle helmet...I have bought 2nd hand before, but, you need to know what you are looking at. So, there is a lot of research going into this. I've got a $10 head, but can't find a $10 helmet these day - I have no interest in expensive helmets. I thought I knew what I wanted, then was trying on helmets last week, and found the one I wanted...double my budget, but worth it. This week my life has changed, so has my helmet requirements. All day I've had 2 helmets up on tabs...same brand, same colour...$30 difference in price...my brain is spinning.

So yeah, I can get fussy and put too much effort into a choice of product.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Last Christmas I was visiting some friends in The Yook and they cited as evidence of my weirdness checking the quality of the welds inside a stainless steel thermos flask with a pen-torch.

What? That’s very normal ~ tell the friends to back off …

BTW homies … that’s a small flashlight …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

AHHH-I thought he had one of those little butane flamethrowers trying to see if he could catch the insulation on fire! (OK, not really)

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: 4WD

AHHH-I thought he had one of those little butane flamethrowers trying to see if he could catch the insulation on fire! (OK, not really)

No, he was touching up the welds …
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

Last oil change in car I used PYB. Upcoming spring OCI's include Fram TG filters and some T5 for my truck.

thats what I like about amazon you can read reviews

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

thats what I like about amazon you can read reviews

How does one QA/QC online reviews?

Heh recycling and re purposing. Its a form of ancestor worship sorta. Fix it, make do, go without. The mantra of the poor wage earner. Both of my parents were from well off families that got wiped out in the Depression. And my main mentor, Charlie, was born poor.

Also, in consumer products, "they don't make them like they used to" is a general truism. Cars are an exception, electronics too. My 25yr old Toro freebie mower even with wear is a better mower than a modern Toro big box store Recycler. Same with the 40 yr old Ariens snow blower. Wood products of 50-100 yrs ago are way better than their modern counterparts. Most modern woods are farmed and their products are "engineered"

It only makes sense to know what you're buying as well as what it should cost.
There is also the factor of waiting for the deal.
It also depends upon the cost of an item as well as its relative price. Rotella T5 10W-30 would not be my first choice of oil, for example, but at .25/qt AMIR it looks like a solid deal and I have applications in which to use it. OTOH, M1 AP at $17.00 AMIR and store deals with M1 oil filter seems like quite the deal, although far more costly than the T5.
I'll spend a lot more time and effort researching a new car purchase than I would a winter vacation since a week anywhere warm in winter is nice, whether an island or a cruise ship while I expect years of dependable performance from a new car. It's also pretty easy to find solid pricing information for either expenditure.
It also depends upon the intent involved in the purchase.
Consider two members who bought used Mercedes cars. One wanted a fully optioned car as a daily driver. He did his homework and searched until he found the right one for around 25% of its price new and is happily enjoying the car in daily use.
Another has bought a Lego set of S-class cars on auction from Copart for literally pennies on the dollar and is using his skills and time to repair and recondition them, but he treats it as a hobby. These cars have issues, of course, since they would not otherwise have been offered on auction from Copart, but the buyer is well aware of that.
I guess I'm trying to say that you should know what you're buying and research a planned purchase enough to be aware of the cons as well as the pros and to ensure that you don't get hosed on the purchase price.

I've got a good one. My mother-in-law's 10 year-old dryer broke. Indicators turn on, but when you select start, the relay clicks, nothing turns on, and then an error code is displayed. Turns out, this is a common problem, where a relay will produce enough current to slowly melt one of its solder connections; it eventually blows out, leaving an easily identifiable scorch mark on the board. There was no continuity between the relay contact and the next point on the board. I was able to resolder (poorly likely) the connection and it appears that the circuit is restored. Instead of buying a new dryer or spending hundreds on repair, I MAY get her up and running for nothing more than my time and a little solder (and electricity)...fingers crossed on that one - another family member is waiting to install it for her, since we live hours away.

//

I think the toughest decision I have to make, is when to replace old appliances. A dryer doesn't get much more efficient, it seems, so that's one easy decision when it comes to keeping a working dryer for forever or attempt repairs for as long as it's cheap. There are a bunch of things that just work or can be refurbed cheaply to give you decades of cheap service. I don't think that's true for all appliances, though.

My ten year-old fridge works just fine now (especially now that I've cleaned possibly 10 years of [censored] off the condenser coils and vents behind the fridge from the previous owner), but at some point, the purchase of a new fridge will pay for itself well within the expected life of the new fridge. The numbers are far from adding up now, of course, but technology keeps getting better, EVEN WITH refrigerant restrictions and useless features being added all the time to even modestly-priced fridges...

Another good one to replace more frequently than most of us think to, is window A/C units. Well-maintained units can last decades and still put out freezing cold air, but at a cost. That cost could be substantially higher than a newer Energy Star unit. We just got a new house and are bringing two 4 year-old Sharp units with us. The previous owners left 2 ancient units and one newer one. I'll have to investigate their energy usage. The good thing is, there are always people looking for cheap units, so getting rid of them will be easy and net me a bit of coin in the process.

Every appliance uses some amount of money to use. The more you use it, the more the potential savings for newer. There's something to be said for reliability, though. Why replace something that has given you decades of perfect service for some new-fangled version that might fail on you just outside of the warranty period, negating every bit of the savings you were hoping to achieve! I think that's why I tend to leave things be for a while and continue to do tons of research. The consequence of a bad decision or early adoption of new gear can be not only hundreds in capital expenditure, but also the risk of added inconvenience, loss and repair costs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back