Catch Cans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Recently i posted a thread regarding my neighbor's 2011 (said 2010 in error) Kia Optima 2.4 reaching 200k miles. He isnt fussy about maintenance, mostly getting conventional oil changes at the dealership and quick lubes etc. Car has been exceptionally reliable.

Today i saw him under his hood and asked if all is well. He said, "yup, just emptying my catch can." Surprised, i asked how long he's had it. "It's been installed since 10k miles." He's of rhe opinion it has kept deposits at bay.

My question is do you think CC actually work? I've been unreasonably cynical about them for years, having read both sides.

I have no experience with them, but am interested. Can you share the pros & cons you have learned?

Fact is they collect oil. Keeping the elements caught out of the intake manifold is good no matter what. How much benefit is a variable. A great benefit is placement, preferably plumbed with a long enough hose for condensation to occur. Mine has a hose running from the firewall, along the fender, down to the front of the engine, can mounted at the lowest point behind the radiator on the splash guard. It is, so far, 100% effective, as the return hose is free of oil deposits. Naysayers argue assumptions. I have one, it collects stuff. Some of it is oil that would otherwise be on my intake valves that would not be removed due to lack of PFI. I view it as a bypass filter for oil, I will still be cleaning the valves periodically, but not as frequently. How well it works only time will tell.
Best place for it is in the lowest, coolest place possible for the condensation to occur.

I have a Moroso catch can in my PCV line on my Suburban. Even with the updated valve cover, I still drain out plenty of oily milkshake from mine at every oil change.
My intake is clean.

Buy a good one. Cheap ones are cheap. I bought this for about $75 on ebay:

https://www.amazon.com/ADD-W1-Universal-...uct_top?ie=UTF8

Precision machining with a DIPSTICK (nice).

They work. Have it on my Santa Fe turbo. Only about 1 or 2 ounces per 5K OCI. But that adds up if not emptied. I have a very clean intake and PCV. No problems with Hyundai dealer about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I may order one for the Sonata. Nice small DIY project.

Fine but your turbo needs it even more.

Bought this one, good reviews...

RUIEN

The Santa Fe 2.0T is getting one too.

The Volvo came with one standard - their main fault. My bikes all vent to atmo.

I have one similar to the one pictured...took it off my Pajero 8 years ago, and haven't found a use for it yet.

This is from my 2015 Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0L. Some guys with this engine install catch cans. Mine doesn’t have one. 60K miles...would it be worth it I don’t know.

A properly designed and located catch can will trap fluid.
Improper design or placement and it won't catch hardly anything.

The biggest problem with catch cans fitted inline with the PCV is that they still allow combusted gas into the cylinder, increasing charge temperature and displacing A/F mix.

For engine health and performance venting to atmosphere is best. For legal compliance sometimes this is unfortunately not an option.

Could a catch can also be used to dose some solvent to the intake valves? Perhaps after its empty some b-12 or techron added to the can?

I would gather the hose directing the vapors back to the engine could easily be disconnected and have the solvent introduced through there more efficiently.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The biggest problem with catch cans fitted inline with the PCV is that they still allow combusted gas into the cylinder, increasing charge temperature and displacing A/F mix.

If you calculate the HUGE volume of air flowing through an engine,

And compare that in relation to the teeny tiny bit of air going through the PCV valve....

You'd probably retract your statement.

It sounds a LOT MORE like you are describing "Exhaust Gas Re-circulation" (EGR) ... NOT pcv

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Could a catch can also be used to dose some solvent to the intake valves? Perhaps after its empty some b-12 or techron added to the can?

It would never be distributed evenly - one or two valves might see the whole dose, while the others get none.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
It would never be distributed evenly - one or two valves might see the whole dose, while the others get none.

Aren't those same two(2) valves the very same valves that currently accumulate the heaviest deposits ?

Based on the savagegeese video, it would lend support to the theorem that this is what occurs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back