Low SAPS oil for a diesel engine without a DPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Mazda 6 wagon with a 2.0 l turbo diesel (MZR-CD). The previous owner had trouble with the diesel particulate filter and ended up having it removed and the software amended accordingly. So as I see it there is no need for the low ash oil, ash being a problem with DPFs. The reccommended oil to meet the Japanese standard (JASO DL-1) is quite expensive, about $90 for 5 litres. My question for all you gurus is whether I might use a different oil providing equivalent lubrication properties that does not meet the low SAPS standard?

Cheers

Cheers, mate

Originally Posted By: Philsmith
My question for all you gurus is whether I might use a different oil providing equivalent lubrication properties that does not meet the low SAPS standard?

Low- SAPS = lots of goodness removed.

Buy & use any good priced oil that is rated for use in diesel engines.

DL-1 is roughly equivalent to ACEA C1. A higher Saps oil is C2 or A5/B5 but you could use A3/B4 or C3 too, I cant see it will make much difference.

A3/B4 or E4 is the spec to look for if you don't burn oil, or if you do burn oil but have no CAT/DPF/TWC. (high saps for best protection)

If you burn oil AND have DPF/CAT/TWC then look for C1 (lowest saps available)

Last edited:
Mazdas in EU use C2 or C3 oils. I would use C3 for greater HT-HS. Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 comes to my mind, but there's other candidates. Alternatively, an A3/B4 lubricant- if DPF is deleted, (as Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, or similar) can be used depending on the price.

While not required. Low and Mid SAPS oils have advantages in reducing inlet deposits in all vehicles that have EGR/PCV systems. Hot sooty exhaust gases + warm moist crank case gases = sludge in the inlet. Especially on DI (both petrol and diesel.)

these premium oils also tend to have better NOACK characteristics which also limit oil flash off.

I use SHU ECT C2/C3 0W30 or SHU ECT C3 5W30 in my Saab 9-5 turbo; and while I'm sure any other mid saps modern synthetic would have had a similar result. The fuel economy and reduction in oil consumption has been very noticeable. Not to mention the incredibly smooth running.

Regards
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back