Venting my New Dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a new dryer and trying to upgrade my venting system. I have rigid 4" pipe on about a 20 ft run from laundry room to outside. My problem is getting from the back of my dryer to the straight run. Here are some pictures. Feel free to jump in. I HATE flex ducting. Opinions? I can't cut any farther to the right as the current cut is right up against the floor joist. I can cut more to the left. You can see my 4" rigid pipe is pretty tight as it is. The vent in the dryer will not line up with the current hole as it is more to the right and I can't cut the floor joist.

I mean you can buy a bunch of rigid pipe and make it work or use flex.

Just make sure the flex is fully stretched to improve airflow.

Those seem to be the only options unless you are willing to run vent pipe inside the wall and up through the ceiling.

Seems like you can go solid to just above the floor then flex to the dryer. That 2x4 in the back is useless. Looks like it’s detached from the stud.

Is this on a upper floor?

Rest easy. Copper line is non-functional. It was from 15 years ago when I had propane gas dryer.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Interesting shape for the cutout; never seen that before. Most people like squares, rectangles, and circles.

My 3 year old daughter did the cutting. She did do a nice sweeping curve. She was gonna make one big circle but she hit the floor joist on that right side.
grin.gif

I think I would build a raised platform from 2"x 10"/3/4" plywood to gain more clearance for venting. Make a easy opened access panel at bottom to hook up the vent when dryer is setting there. Does the dryer have a optional bottom vent outlet? Mine did. If so you could use that outlet. Raising the washer/dryer would also help the bending over stuff. Can you return dryer and get a bottom vent if yours doesn't have one?

Just looking at it some more, I think one adjustable elbow to get it pointing up and then flex the rest of the way. Get a hinged cover plate to hide the gap where the duct comes through the floor. Covering up the rest of the hole will finish it off.

It looks like you have a number of challenges.

- Look at the dryer owners manual to determine longest allowable vent length. It varies by brand and each elbow (90 or 45) reduces the allowable length considerably. At 20 ft. in your OP, you are getting close to maximum with any elbows. There are long vent dryer models and booster fans. Whether you use flexible metal or 3 els. described above by SWS, you need to adhere to maximum length guidelines.
- Duct hidden within walls/floors must be rigid. UL transition duct from dryer to rigid can be flexible.
- Floor trusses(not joists)..... any chance you can re route the rigid pipe in the floor trusses to come up further to the right. This would require a new hole.
- I would explore the products of companies like Builders Best and maybe Dundas Jafine to look for problem solver products.
http://www.buildersbest.com/product-industry/dryer-vent-kit/

Here's one example of UL listed semi rigid flexible transition duct:

EDIT: just noticed that the final piece under the floor is an adjustable elbow. You should be able to make it turn up a bit to allow smoother transition to the flex pipe.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Just make sure the flex is fully stretched to improve airflow.

Actually - Use the all-aluminum stuff (not the shiny plastic tubing with a wire wound in it)

and leave it fully collapsed so there's no ridges inside. Use the shortest piece possible.

Evil stuff:
e885fe59-4204-4346-badc-82d4a44c3611_1.c92068e9689ff120e023fca95482dc1d.jpeg

The GOOD stuff:
722048801172.jpg

My last dryer allowed me to vent downward by installing an elbow This way it vents out the bottom and not the back. Maybe then it would move farther left. Just a thought. Thats how I did mine and then you can push dryer right against the wall.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
My 3 year old daughter did the cutting. She did do a nice sweeping curve. She was gonna make one big circle but she hit the floor joist on that right side.
grin.gif

In that case I would say it's very innovative and artistic.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: Gebo
grin.gif

In that case I would say it's very innovative and artistic.
smile.gif

Thank you for those kind words, Sir. I'm sure "she" will be encouraged.
smile.gif

Well, I got the dryer in the room. I can go 28 feet with four 90's so that's good. Manual said one ninety reduced the straight run by 6 feet. I should have only one 90. And maybe a couple 45's.

After all your input, I'm gonna just finagle some aluminum adjustable connecters. Should take one 90 and 2 more adjustable ones and a little foil tape.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldhp
I think I would build a raised platform from 2"x 10"/3/4" plywood to gain more clearance for venting. Make a easy opened access panel at bottom to hook up the vent when dryer is setting there. Does the dryer have a optional bottom vent outlet? Mine did. If so you could use that outlet. Raising the washer/dryer would also help the bending over stuff. Can you return dryer and get a bottom vent if yours doesn't have one?

You have a great idea. The dryer has a bottom vent but it comes out right over the 2x4 floor truss.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It looks like you have a number of challenges. ...
EDIT: just noticed that the final piece under the floor is an adjustable elbow. You should be able to make it turn up a bit to allow smoother transition to the flex pipe.

But I have now figured out I have that elbow in backwards. The crimped end should be sticking in the rigid pipe.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
My last dryer allowed me to vent downward by installing an elbow This way it vents out the bottom and not the back. Maybe then it would move farther left. Just a thought. Thats how I did mine and then you can push dryer right against the wall.

I was so excited to see this option but I can't do it. Floor truss is smack dab in the center of the bottom vent hole with my dryer against the wall.
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back