Adventures with my 42 yr old Stihl's Loose Muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple trees to take care of before they leaf out. My 1975 Stihl Farmboss needs a little TLC. The muffler is loose on the 4?mm screws to the jug and the root cause, the stabilizing outboard screw on the muffler is missing. The original gasket is intact but very tender. I was hoping to go downtown and get some external toothed washers, a 3/16 nut and screw. And be cutting wood Sunday. I'm dithering about getting a new gasket if I can get it locally. If not I'll slather it with silica cement and snug up the screws.

ATTN: 100:1 mix boys. The Farmboss specced a 40:1 Stihl oil. I used Stihl stuff mixed to 32:1. since day one. Then the local guy closed, so I used True Value or what ever for the next 20 yrs. Now I'm on my 2nd qt of Valvoline universal mix oil. The saw hasn't been used in 6 months at least. The side of the piston was coated in oil, sticky slippery oil. It looks great. No carbon on the port. Muffler is just a hollow box. No restrictions.

Our family has the same saw, Stihl Farmboss with a 20” bar. It hasn’t been run in years. Eager to find out how it all works out for you.

Those saws are virtually indestructible.

I would just reuse the gasket, it's not critical. I wouldn't slop that mess on my muffler.My 70's vintage chain saws needed a 16:1 mix.

about the 16:1 etc, The piston etc does not need that much oil BUT some engines did not have ball bearings on the crankshaft and the brass bushings did need a lot of oil. So, if that saw has real bearings, I would not run them at 16:1 today, maybe 40-50:1

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I took my Junk echo into the shop. I can't make it run.it goes in 2x a year.really frustrating

That's unusual for an Echo product.

I own Stihl, Jonsereds and Echo chainsaws. The Jonsereds are both large saws, the Still is midsize and the Echo CS-346 is a small saw with a big attitude. More often than not, the Echo is my usual go to saw. I use it for all limbing and will buck trees up to ten inches or so in diameter if I only have one or two to cut. Bigger and more trees will force me to pull out one of the bigger saws. The Slill 031 was a nice saw but it's pretty much worn out and those Jonsereds are heavy. Hence my preference for the Echo

Yesterday I couldn't even get the saw to pop, let alone run. I was getting a white spark. I even got a tingle messing with it. I decided to stop at Loews and get a new plug. On a whim, I splurged on a qt of 40:1 Tru Fuel. I poured the 1/2 tank of old mix into a pan to soak the air filter in. I filled the tank with TF, but didn't bother with the plug. It popped and cleaned out the remnant of yesterday's carb cleaner. 2nd pull, it fired up and ran strong. I'm gonna have to adjust the idle waay down. Tru Fuel works great, but no way is it worth 24$ a gallon.
grin2.gif

I used the saw this morning to clear a cherry tree from the driveway so my daughter and her boys could get in. It did me proud.
grin2.gif

One of my tree guys brought in several Echos a few years ago. The carbs were 'uncleanable'. Had to replace all of them, but it solved the problems. He wanted to get them ready to sell on Craigslist, since they had been laying around for a number of years while the Stihls in his inventory were doing the work. I replace the oilers on a lot of Husqvarna's each year too. That being said, the best saw I've ever seen working, in person, was my neighbor's Husqvarna (with a modified Stihl chain). Love my (four thousand pound) Farmboss. Seems to burn, even, two year old gas when I call on it.

The Farmboss is using its original Tillotson carb made in Ireland. Points and condenser too. I don't use enough 2 stroke mix to mix the 2 gallon batches that would still be useful at 2yrs old as in the old days. This gas was dead after only 10 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back