Mazda’s new Renesis and Premacy engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotary / Wankel engines are a novelty to me, and nothing more.

I have always wanted one as a plaything, but they just aren't very practical.

I know of an RX-8 I can buy for probably less than 6K, since when I threw that number out the owner said that was doable.
The car is pretty nice overall and is on its second engine at around 120K. It is a stick. A little tempting since a Wankel is something everyone should own at least once, just like a diesel, although Rudolph's design ideas proved a lot more fruitful than those of Felix.

I owned both an RX-3 and an RX-4 back in the 70's. The RX-3 chucked its apex seals at 70k miles and was sold, the RX-4 was a monster that would not die.

Took money from many V8 powered cars with the 4, it was truly gnarly for a little 2 door, easily revved way past redline and never faltered until I sold it.

Really too bad, a stated above everyone should at least own one for a while...

I knew 2 people who had an RX7TT, and they said it was the most expensive car to repair, but it was so much fun that they felt it was worth the money.

The Renesis engine changed the location of ports so that it would meet California smog, but they only sold that car for a few years. In many cases, the engines didn't last long enough.

I suppose GDI could be used to solve the overlap problem which leads to smog, but the engine still has several weaknesses that prevent it from becoming common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back