Big rubber mats on the backs of cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every once in a while a car passes me that has a big black rubber mat hanging out the trunk; the truck is closed; The mat is like a giant mud flap, but it only generally covers the width of the trunk.

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the trunk; i 'might' remember it could have reflectors on it.

Any one know what the use scenario for these are, why they would be on a single vehicle. I'm thinking it might have to do with vehicle transport, but I can't imagine the purpose

-T

Would be easier if you had a picture, but if it covers the whole width of the trunk, it's probably a bumper guard. Lots of people in the city practice the braille method of parking, which means they bump the car in front of them before stopping when parallel parking. That's to stop your bumper from getting all scratched up.

Wolf has it; I believe this method of parallel parking was pioneered in NYC, and has spread like syphilis to other overpopulated areas. In other words, if you have a nice car and want to keep it nice, don’t park it on city streets!

The BumperBib bumper protector features an innovative patented shape and design which will universally fit most vehicles. It is intended to protect your bumper daily unloading and loading of items in and out of your trunk. Extremely comfortable if you occasionally sit on your bumper at the tailgate or at the park.

Like this???

Last edited:
Mostly see this on NY vehicles. People leave them out so that people bumping them don't scuff the bumper while street-side parking.

This reminds me of people who leave the shipping plastic on electronics...so that they look perfect when they stop working and need to be trashed. In other words, I see this on older or less-expensive cars more than I see them on expensive vehicles.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Every once in a while a car passes me that has a big black rubber mat hanging out the trunk; the truck is closed; The mat is like a giant mud flap, but it only generally covers the width of the trunk.

Is this today's equivalent of the turn signal on or the seat belt hanging out of the door?

Does it look like anything in this list?

https://the10pro.com/top-9-best-bumper-guards/

Too many bad drivers in the city who don't know how to parallel park. I know one person who lives in the suburbs who say she doesn't park in the city because she can't figure out how to parallel park. I've been doing it for years and can do it in about 3 seconds. The key is to stuff your back wheels toward the curb. My car actually has parking guidance which is supposed to tell you how to turn the wheel to parallel once it detects a spot. But I've never used it because it's just easier to park normally. Only problem with a bumper guard would be that it would cover up the parking distance senors on the car.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Mostly see this on NY vehicles. People leave them out so that people bumping them don't scuff the bumper while street-side parking.

This reminds me of people who leave the shipping plastic on electronics...so that they look perfect when they stop working and need to be trashed. In other words, I see this on older or less-expensive cars more than I see them on expensive vehicles.

I see tons of them around here. They look stupid imo and don't help much. The bumpers are usually all chipped and cracked to the left and right of the pad.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Does it look like anything in this list?

https://the10pro.com/top-9-best-bumper-guards/

Those are it; the ones I've seen don't have logos.

I drive I95 and there are a lot of NY'rs going to Cape Code, Block Island etc. I don't recall seeing them other than on I95. Any given Saturday in the summer more than 50% of the cars on I95 are out of staters (NY,NJ primarily)

I never knew such a product existed.

thanks.

The best way to parallel park is to back up until you hit the other car, then pull forward a little bit.
-NYC

The best way to parallel park is to pull into the spot front first because backing up is too hard, but then take about five minutes to straighten it out and realize you are still four feet from the curb. Meanwhile, you've been blocking traffic the entire time.
-South Carolina

Gotta jump in quick to claim the "bobby prize".

YES, it's for scuff resistance.
NO, NYC isn't the only place where people don't know how to park.

PRIZE WINNING TID-BIT of INFO: It's for leased vehicles mostly.
It's so the filthy, dog's dirt dealers don't hit you with a $1,700 "Clean-up the bumper charge".

The joys of leasing....plus you have to carry TIPPY TOP insurance with a lease to cover the bovine fertilizer list price of the car.

I WIN. (self declared).

A co-worker tried to patent his idea for a rear bumper protector:

The Accordo-Bumper. If contact is made, it plays Lady of Spain:

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

The best way to parallel park is to pull into the spot front first because backing up is too hard, but then take about five minutes to straighten it out and realize you are still four feet from the curb. Meanwhile, you've been blocking traffic the entire time.
-South Carolina

I do that sometimes, but just so that someone behinds you doesn't sneak into the spot and then it's a big argument. Then you pull out a little, then really crank the wheel to stick the rear wheels toward the curb. Takes a little bit longer but if you pull past the car, some one else behind you might pull to prevent you from backing into the spot. Sometimes you have to pull out all the tricks for parking in the city.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
It's to prevent damage to the bumper when parallel parking.

+1. Primarily see them in NYC. Called bumper bully iirc.

Well in city life you need to fit that smaller space that others pass up. And or get in there quickly. This is a tool for that.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

-South Carolina

I do that sometimes, but just so that someone behinds you doesn't sneak into the spot and then it's a big argument. Then you pull out a little, then really crank the wheel to stick the rear wheels toward the curb. Takes a little bit longer but if you pull past the car, some one else behind you might pull to prevent you from backing into the spot. Sometimes you have to pull out all the tricks for parking in the city.

If I am parallel parking, I have my signal on and I have the right of way. Try to sneak in behind me and your grille's gonna get smashed.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back