22 Weight Hydraulic Jack Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a floor jack at Harbor Freight.
Manual says to use non-detergent 22 weight hydraulic jack oil.
Where you get that at?
confused2.gif

"Turn the Jack upright. Add non-detergent
22 weight hydraulic jack oil into the Fill Plug
hole slowly until the oil level just reaches
the top of the Piston inside the Cylinder."

Daytona Jack PDF

You shouldn't have to worry about refilling that jack for over a decade, even if you use it a bunch. By then an SA ND30 will work well. I use SA ND30 on all my hand powered hydraulics old and new after a rebuild. Never had an issue. Cold or warm.

Pretty much all the oily type stores should have hydraulic jack oil. They just might not say if it’s 22 weight and non detergent oil. If you’re over 40 it’s the last bottle you’ll ever buy.

I have two bottles of Torin Blackjack oil from Walmart, but they don't say what the viscosity is on the bottle and there's no mention of the oil on their website.

I found an interesting viscosity conversion chart. ISO 22 is equal to a 0W-5 weight automotive oil.

Viscosity-Equivalents-Hydraulic-Oil-584-742.png

"ISO VG 15 Hydraulic Fluid is typically used in power steering and hydraulic brake systems.
ISO VG 22 Hydraulic Fluid is generally used in airlines for air tools etc.
ISO VG 32 Hydraulic Fluid is ideal for use in high-powered machine tools.
ISO VG 46 Hydraulic Fluid is normally required for industrial plant working under high-pressure etc.
ISO VG 68 Hydraulic Fluid is designed for use in systems which require a large load-carrying ability.
ISO VG 100 Hydraulic Fluid tends to be used in industrial machinery with heavy loads."

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Jack oil from Walmart. Any ISO 22 hydraulic oil will work. ISO 22 R&O oil too. Nothing special at all about oil for a jack.

From my research, ISO 22 oil is equivalent to SAE 5W in viscosity. And I also found out that that ISO 22 oil in single quart bottles are next to non-existant. That Mystik bottle is the only one I could find on the entire internet. And then there's the question of whether the factory oil is mineral, vegetable, or synthetic based. Choose the wrong base and you'll ruin the seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back