UOA: 2011 Equinox 2.4l - fuel in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

back ground info:
I purchased my 2011 Equinox with the 2.4l, AWD, and 58k miles in Nov of 2016.

Since purchase.....
Replace high pressure fuel pump (GM recall)
Manual shifter cable replaced (done by selling dealer for free)
Replaced spark plugs, front o2 sensor, map sensor, and differential and transfer case fluid (nasty black) myself.
Had transmission fluid completely changed by pushing old fluid out with new fluid. (Again black and nasty)
Cleaned a very dirty throttle body. (Much better idle)
New pistons, rings, and timing chain (GM warranty)
Replaced thermostat when they had my engine torn apart. (My cost for part only. Opening too soon...but no check engine light lol)
Replaced catalytic converter (GM warranty)
Replaced cracked exhaust manifold (purchased warranty)
Replaced AC condenser (purchased warranty)
I did do a leak down test a few weeks ago.
Numbers were about 95, 96, 89, 98. I chalk the #3 cylinder to my not getting top dead center.
I did have some high fuel trim numbers. LTFT was around +6% to +9%. Changed out the MAF sensor right after the leak down test which cured that.

I am waiting for the transmission to fail soon. GM may or may not cough up for their mistake on that as well.
However, I have the purchased warranty that last 4 years or 48k which will pay for that monstrous bill if it does.

I have an appointment next week with the dealer that rebuilt the engine.
I am fairly confident that it is the High Pressure Fuel Pump that is the problem.

I think the next part that I will replace will be the entire car....
15.gif

Edit- just a note, when I changed my oil, I ended up with about a half quart to a quart more than I had put in it...

Last edited:
I would send it down the road while it still runs...
I had a 2012 Nox that was trouble free... sounds like yours is a lemon. I know a lot of the 11's had issues.

That list is not indicative of any quality in my book. It sounds like you have been super patient with this vehicle. It may be time to let it go.

On the bright side, you got your money’s worth out of the warranty.

2010's and 2011's are worse.
2012's are having problems too.
The PCV system freezing up and blowing out the rear main seal is one of the other problems. GM ectended warranty on that as well.

Note to anyone, it is the 2.4l's that are having the problems. The V6s are not. Especially the 3.6l V6. Very good engine in the Equinox.

I will definitely get rid of it before the purchased warranty is up.
Holding on to it for now till my family knows for sure what will happen in the next year or two. May move which may require purchasing a crew cab...

Obviously not the OP here, but I'll hazard a guess since my 2011 had a lot of the same issues. I assume it was rebuilt due to oil consumption issues. That would also probably explain the catalytic converter replacement too. We ran an oil consumption test starting at 98k, rebuild was done at 104k then within 2-3k the catalytic converter started throwing a code. Luckily everything was done under recall so no out of pocket costs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCasto
Obviously not the OP here, but I'll hazard a guess since my 2011 had a lot of the same issues. I assume it was rebuilt due to oil consumption issues. That would also probably explain the catalytic converter replacement too. We ran an oil consumption test starting at 98k, rebuild was done at 104k then within 2-3k the catalytic converter started throwing a code. Luckily everything was done under recall so no out of pocket costs.

Good assumption....

Originally Posted By: JCasto

I'm assuming that the rebuild doesn't fix the design flaws so won't the oil consumption issues return eventually?

There's probably a lot more fuel in the oil than what's being reported. Since Blackstone's testing method for fuel is an estimate at best. Much better labs out there to test for fuel in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I'm assuming that the rebuild doesn't fix the design flaws so won't the oil consumption issues return eventually?

Different ring design is now being used.
So not necessarily going to return but it has on other cars.
I think the biggest problem is the cascade effect of oil burning. Other parts are damaged and those can in turn come back to create oil burning again.
However using the old 2.4l and putting GDI into it was definitely a design flaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back