38 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was even better than Gardner winning gold over Karelin to start off the '00s.

EDIT - just realized that Rulon and another somewhat unlikely US gold medalist, Jessica Diggins, are both from small towns named Afton.
Diggins is probably not nearly as unlikely as Gardner given that she was a previous world champion in team sprint, but a while ago in 2013.

Last edited:
That was such a big deal, even the fake stuff on TV was reporting it. I was 14 and when Saturday night wrestling came on at 6:05 pm, I remember Gordon Solie leading off the show talking about the US beating the Russians. Gordon Solie never interrupted the show to talk about who won the World Series, Super Bowl, college football championship, etc ... only thing he ever interrupted show for was US kids beating Russian pros. Awesome

Certainly much better than the our last two Olympic showings. The men's hockey team was a joke, but the women's was good. The men in any of the events were bad both in this Olympics and the last. We used to dominate, or at the very least be near the top in everything...not so much anymore...are our athletes getting soft?

It's a good day
smile.gif
congrat's to them...

One of the women on the team Kacey Bellamy comes from my city...

http://wwlp.com/2018/02/22/gold-for-team-usa-womens-hockey/

Last edited:
...and after all the Hockey buzz Carter boycotted the Moscow Olympics. It sure messed with the lives of a lot of athletes that did nothing to hurt Carter and had nothing to do with politics.

Originally Posted By: grampi
are our athletes getting soft?

What interests me is how many Americans compete under other flags due to one of their parents' nationalities, and how many international athletes train here in the USA. Not sure if any of it is bad or good, but it may shift things a bit.

Not that there's as many winter sports that relate to this, but Title IX affects mens sports and biases to women's. Football and Basketball are untouched, but many others are massively affected as men's sports are gutted to club status, and womens' sports get huge money thrown at them to balance the football and basketball budgets...

Back then in rural TX, we barely had an idea what hockey was. I could not even name a NHL team. It was surreal how their run to the Gold captivated us. We nearly became obsessed with it. We screamed out loud as the final seconds ticked off, then held our collective breaths as they took on Finland. It amazes me to think that even today, knowledgeable people still think we beat the USSR in the final game. We still had to beat Finland to win it.

I miss the days where the Olympics were about SPORTS, not political agendas, personal drama, social media, and lifestyle choices. I don't watch any more.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
For those that haven't seen it, "Miracle" is an inspiring movie about the events.

Yes, very good movie and sad that Herb Brooks died in a vehicle accident because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt
frown.gif

Great movie nonetheless

A great memory back when the Olympics were sports and not the social change/political circus it is now. I don’t watch them anymore and according to the ratings, I’m not the only one.

This thread makes me feel older now that we are considering the 80’s as history. I still remember the moon landing on television

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A great memory back when the Olympics were sports and not the social change/political circus it is now. I don’t watch them anymore and according to the ratings, I’m not the only one.

This thread makes me feel older now that we are considering the 80’s as history. I still remember the moon landing on television

Me too. Our grade school allowed all of the students and parents to come to the school (during our summer break) to watch it...

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Most every olympics has some elements of social/political change to them. Nazis in 1936,” The Munich massacre “ of Israeli athletes being attacked and killed in the Olympic village in 1972, the American boycott of the 1980 summer games in protest of the USSR’s invasion of Afghanistan ( oh the irony ), The boycott of the 1984 olympics by the USSR, The Atlanta attack in 1996. If anything, the games seem to have gotten less political in the last 20 years or so.

Well, we have the fake media fawning over Kim jung Ungs sister like she is some kind of goddess, gay athletes publically trashing VP Pence, drama queen Linsdey Vonn on social media, on and on and on. Sick of it all.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Well, we have the fake media fawning over Kim jung Ungs sister like she is some kind of goddess, gay athletes publically trashing VP Pence, drama queen Linsdey Vonn on social media, on and on and on. Sick of it all.

Yep, I agree...

Yep, I agree...

You can Bing or google Billy Graham and the top article is a nasty one in Rolling Stone … can’t leave it alone for even a week can they ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Yep, I agree...

You can Bing or google Billy Graham and the top article is a nasty one in Rolling Stone … can’t leave it alone for even a week can they ?

I actually found out here on Bitog that Billy Graham had passed away. When I clicked on the topic the thread had already been locked. Somebody must have stepped out of bounds early in the thread. Sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back