Any FWD vehicles with LSD/limited slip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the beginning stages of looking for a slightly larger/newer vehicle.

We have lived in the chicagoland area for 10 years and have never had an AWD vehicle.

Never had a snow issue that a shovel couldn't solve.

I think we will be perfectly fine with another FWD or RWD open diff vehicle.

That being said I think having an LSD would be preferable.

My thoughts are that having AWD and associated drivetrain components always gives worse MPG and more things to fix/break.

Fwd/rwd with lsd would be ideal in my mind.

Currently have 2 Carseats that fit fine in the Accord and LS400, but have frequently needed to drive 2 cars when grandma grandpa are visiting. So I was as thinking the 3rd row would be nice.

I have been looking at the 08-13 Highlanders/Pilots/Venza/Sequoia.

I have been looking at stuff in the 15k price range with ideally 75k-100k miles

Anything else I should consider?

The type of limited slips used in modern front wheel drive vehicles are not tuned for snow, they are to prevent the inside wheel from spinning while cornering.

I don't think the bigger FWD SUVs or CUVs have LSDs or Torsens in them - I know Honda installs a Torsen diff as standard equipment in the Civic Si and I also think the Mini Cooper S has an LSD in it. But those are smaller.

Modern AWD is for the most part more reliable than its past iterations - I get there's more to break but unless it's a Haldex or Ford system where frequent maintenance is an absolute must, I wouldn't hesitate looking at a Toyota/Honda/Subaru AWD system. Subaru being the least intensive to maintain as they don't need to use special fluids for their system, unlike Honda's Real-Time 4WD and VTM-4/SH-AWD.

Some current gen VW GTI's have one. Some vehicles with traction control do a better job than others as splitting the power between both front wheels.

I would look at AWD. I would not look at Posi for snow and ice. You will spend more time heading for the gutter.

ABS and and active traction control will do well. Actual posi, short of Torsen will compromise traction on ice. Just too easy to get both wheels spinning slightly and then it's around you go ...

Rock crawling, mud, sand - yeah sure. Actual off-road situations - you bet. Snow and ice - nope.

Parents + two kids + occasional grandparents = minivan. Once you get over the "manhood" thing, they're actually quite handy. Front wheel drive and a set of snow tires/wheels are quite sufficient. We like our 2011 Highlander base (FWD, 2.7 liter 4-cyl) just fine at 127K miles, but the third row, while OK for adults for mid-range jaunts, is better for kids. You give up a lot of interior space in order to have room below for all-wheel drive gear, hybrid batteries, and a full-size spare underneath. The rear well for the third seat in a minivan will swallow an awful lot of cargo, even with all the seats up. They're nice to drive, and no one will complain about the room.

I don't think you'll find a limited-slip or torque-biasing diff in a FWD vehicle outside of the "sporty" types (Honda Civic Si/Type-R etc.).

Easier to find those types of diffs in a RWD car. Think Pontiac G8, Chevy SS, etc.

Either way, skyactiv is correct: Get yourself a second set of wheels with winter tires.

None of those have LSDs, or very good AWDs to be honest on the ones that have them. You could definitely find a Subaru Tribeca in the price range and mileage range you're looking for. The Subaru AWD system is unrivaled in its performance. A Tribeca with a judicious throttle foot should return around 23-25mpg on the highway from personal experience. One note, the third row is quite tight for anybody bigger than a teenager.

If you're in the market, Tahoe/Yukon have much more space and not too bad of a mileage hit, plus with any kind of regular maintenance they will last 300k.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Parents + two kids + occasional grandparents = minivan. Once you get over the "manhood" thing, they're actually quite handy. Front wheel drive and a set of snow tires/wheels are quite sufficient.

I'll also add the Sienna is also available in AWD format but you'll need to put up with run-flat tires unless you're willing to carry a full-size spare in the rear cargo well(and sacrifice being able to fold down one side of the third row).

I see Siennas and Odysseys with snow tires in Tahoe do just fine getting around.

One thing you should consider: dedicated winter tires (if you don't already use them). If you absolutely CANNOT use them, then at least get all-season tires with the 3-peak sign (Nokian WRG3/4, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Goodyear Weatherready, Toyo Celsius, etc)

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Just too easy to get both wheels spinning slightly and then it's around you go ...

Rock crawling, mud, sand - yeah sure. Actual off-road situations - you bet. Snow and ice - nope.

This ^^^

FWD + simple / unrefined LSD + wet / icey / slippery road + strong road camber = front of the car suddenly facing the kerb.

Subarus get good mpgs and are reliable....might be a better safer way to go?

As long as you stick with pavement I'd think you'd be fine with FWD and no LSD. So far I've been unimpressed with traction control systems that pull engine power and brake lines--not convinced they work on snow, where some slip is required. I feel my FWD's that lacked TC worked just fine.

A rear heavy FWD vehicle (wagon, minivan) might struggle if you have to point it up a hill, but otherwise decent tires are going to go a long ways. Not only that but AWD does tend to bolster's one opinion of the road conditions & encourages driving faster.

Originally Posted By: supton
A rear heavy FWD vehicle (wagon, minivan)

Most wagons and I think all minivans are front-heavy, unless loaded heavily...

Originally Posted By: supton
decent tires are going to go a long ways. Not only that but AWD does tend to bolster's one opinion of the road conditions & encourages driving faster.

thumbsup2.gif

The Venza seems to be well priced for a Toyota. Get mini van as many have said. The Highlanders are the "cool looking" mini van that people buy until they realize they should have just got the mini van in the first place. A relative is doing exactly that, when lease is up, Toyota Sienna instead of highlander.

All the cars that come with LSDs are too small for what it sounds like you want to use it for, so yea, run some winter tires and drive on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back