Honda DW-1 UOA 35k miles w/Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, here is an ATF Used Oil Analysis report from my recently purchased 2006 Accord.

This oil was confirmed to the best of my ability with the Honda dealer who installed it confirming it to be Genuine Honda DW-1.

This DW-1 was installed by Manly Honda of Santa Rosa CA on June 19th 2015 at 80,685 miles. I beleive this was the first transsmission service.

The customer was charged for 12 quarts of ATF on the service invoice.

Manly Honda also use/installed the following additives at the time of this transmission service:

- PN 106 BG Quick Clean for Transmissoins

- PN 310 BG ATC Automatic Transmission Conditioner

I am aware and fully understand that the Honda Dealer's use of aftermarket oil additives has somewhat skewed results of this UOA.

I got the UOA done because I was curious what the Viscosity of the ATF looked like after 35k miles and what the wear numbers looked like. The only thing Polaris flagged as abnormal is the viscosity being "Moderately Low". The only data I can seem to find on Honda DW-1 is an MSDS sheet which puts the viscosity at 6.83 @ 100C. Don't know if the lower viscosity condition on this UOA is from the DW-1 fluid shearing and or the aftermarket additives diluting the formulation?

Since purchasing this car, I've personally performed a 3/3 fluid drain and fill, ATF filter change and replaced both pressure switches.

Transmission BAYA UOA #1

Vehicle----------2006 Honda Accord EX-L,
Engine-----------J30A5 3.0L VTEC, 6 cyl
Trans------------BAYA Five Speed Automatic
OIL--------------Honda (Idemitsu) DW-1
Oil additive----- PN 310 BG ATC Automatic Transmission Conditioner
Make-up oil----N/A
Oil filter---------Honda OEM #25450-RAY-003
Miles on oil------34,868
Miles on vehicle—---115,553

UOA by Polaris Labs private label program, Oil Analyzers Inc:

WEAR METALS (PPM)
iron-------------------77
chromium-------------0
nickel------------------0
aluminum-------------85
copper----------------15
lead-------------------3
tin---------------------0
cadmium--------------0
silver------------------0
vanadium-------------0

Contaminant Metals (PPM)
silicon------------------16
sodium----------------4
potassium-------------2

Multi-Source Metals (PPM)
titanium-----------------0
molybdenum-------------1
antimony-----------------0
manganese--------------1
lithium-------------------0
boron---------------------261

Additive Metals (PPM)
magnesium----------216
calcium---------------374
barium-----------------1
phosphorus--------127
zinc-----------------344

fuel-----------------N/A
visc40---------------N/A
visc100--------------5.4 (rated at 6.83 as per Honda DW-1/IDEMITSU MSDS)
water---------------- soot/solids----------N/A
change---------------YES
oxida-----------------35
nitr------------------8
TBN------------------N/A

Visual condition of Honda DW-1 at time of sample:
39512739365_977c2bb179.jpg

Pic of my newly Purchased 2006 Honda Accord EX-L 3.0L w/Navigation - 115k mi.
39320018514_764c72da07.jpg

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Thanks for posting this.
I'll raise a glass of ATF with you, cheers!

You're welcome. Just don't tell the wife what I do with her glass wear
grin.gif

Valvoline maxlife is DW1 approved. Although no uoa I change the fluid every 30K. Going on 175K on the same transmission. Shifts like butter.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Valvoline maxlife is DW1 approved. Although no uoa I change the fluid every 30K. Going on 175K on the same transmission. Shifts like butter.

Yeah, I see quite a few people using Maxlife in their Honda transmissions with good results. I prefer Amsoil Signature Series ATF in all my transmissions and that's what went back into this Honda. The Amsoil (ATF) is Honda Z1 rated having the slightly thicker viscosity my car came from the factory with. Figured a transmission with 115k, probably error on the side of thicker.

Amsoil ATF is all I use in these and most others. Line off exchange only I don't waste my time or money with almost useless drain and fills.

Last edited:
I did a ATF UOA for my DW-1 drain @30,735m in my ‘08 CRV K24 with the 5 speed auto-though I’m not completely sure the trans is the same as your V-6 accord, my results were fairly similar, aside from the additives in yours

Highlights:

AL-51
FE-40
Boron-125

Calcium-189
Mag-38
Pho-201
Zinc-94

cST vis @100c was 5.3
Flashpoint 420F

FWIW Blackstone flagged the AL as “a little higher than average, but not worrisome”

Originally Posted By: Trav
Amsoil ATF is all I use in these and most others. Line off exchange only I don't waste my time or money with almost useless drain and fills.

A lot of the newer Honda units no longer run atf to the radiator. Which cooler lines are you using? I suppose I could tap into the line for the external filter, but that is a bit annoying and messy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Trav

A lot of the newer Honda units no longer run atf to the radiator. Which cooler lines are you using? I suppose I could tap into the line for the external filter, but that is a bit annoying and messy.

Correct! My application has a standalone external heat exchanger, not on the radiator, and internal, replaceable filter. I suppose a guy could try and do fluid exchange at the external exchanger, but what a pain. I opted for the costly, wasteful, Honda approved drain and fill method.

Upper left = Heat Exchanger. Lower right = filter housing
AtfFilterCooler.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back