Green High Voltage Transmission Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove under these this afternoon for the something hudredth time (not my normal commute, or it would have been thousands)...and what I knew when I moved up here a quarter century ago, tickled me today.

Back around 1990, when that line was up for official planning, the line was approved, but to minimise the impact, had to be powder coated green, and the overhead cables anodised in an olive type colour.

When you drive beneath it and look up, you have the overhead cables dark against the blue of the firmament...

It's for aestetics right?

New York State has some sort of similar restriction on tin roof colors in the Adirondacks. I think it's only brown and green or something

I suppose when you are looking at it from the top of a hill it may blend into the background.
I do agree that its a bit silly to expect one colour to blend in much better than galvanized steel.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Thats as dumb an idea as the cell towers made to look like huge pine tree.

Oh man, I used climb those things. What a freaking pain. Rope always got tangled up.

Powder coating the tower and anodizing the lines? I can't even begin to imagine how expensive that must have made the project!

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Oh man, I used climb those things. What a freaking pain. Rope always got tangled up.

Cell towers - even ones disguised as pine trees - would ruin the adirondack landscape, so they don't allow any more towers.

They do that up in Muskoka to conceal them, LOL. It actually does a reasonably decent job.

Some of our wind turbines in the area have graduated green bases.

Shannow, your towers should be painted all different colo(u)rs .. no two alike.
And each high tension cable should be different
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Some of our wind turbines in the area have graduated green bases.

Shannow, your towers should be painted all different colo(u)rs .. no two alike.
And each high tension cable should be different
grin.gif

Ahhh yes, the notorious Ontario Wynne Turbines
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Who cares ? Certainly not the folks whose pocket the money is coming out of . Air heads !

Bear in mind when I say modern, this was 26 or 27 years ago.

Project approvals for anything related to power are getting ridiculous, with "green" groups doing everything that they can do to delay and push the price of projects up.

By their own admission, and strategy papers, when they delay projects, it reduces their viability. When they put in inane extra costs, it reduces the viability of the projects, and the profit to be made from the venture if at all possible.

When it came to commission that line, for months along that line people would shoot out the insulators, just to throw another spanner into the mix...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back