Dielectric grease for Toyota/Lexus coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed plugs in the Lexus and according to the service manual there is no mention of using any dielectric grease. I know Ford scares you about using it, like you car will explode if you don't. They even have a special product. I didn't use any grease and felt a bit guilty.

I asked a Toyota place on the way to work and a tech said it is not necessary and you are fine. He said the coil seal on the valve cover is more than enough. The coils slid right off the plugs, they must use a high quality rubber. I doubt any grease was used.

What are your opinions?

In general I use it but on that engine its really not necessary. The boot on the plastic end is not deep and the seal is tight on the cover. Don't loose any sleep over it.

Some cars are worse about stuck coils than others. If you're really anal about it, get one of those $1 grease packets near the counter at AZ.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Some cars are worse about stuck coils than others. If you're really anal about it, get one of those $1 grease packets near the counter at AZ.

Got plenty of it, my concern was more if does more harm than good. Since the manual didn't specify, I didn't put it in. Not a big deal to pop the coils again, but I see it is not really necessary.

I've been using it for about 10 years and found out last year that I've been using it all wrong. So, you could say I've not been using it. Never had a stuck coil or even one that took any effort to remove.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I've been using it for about 10 years and found out last year that I've been using it all wrong. So, you could say I've not been using it. Never had a stuck coil or even one that took any effort to remove.

Yes, being "dielectric" it only goes on non conductive surfaces like rubber or ceramic. A very thin coat as well.

Originally Posted By: ford46guy

Yes, being "dielectric" it only goes on non conductive surfaces like rubber or ceramic. A very thin coat as well.

I've been sticking it on the spark plug terminals.

Actually this is a common misconception. While it's normally only recommended for inside the rubber boots when used on spark plug wires, in pretty much every other electrical application it's always used on the conductive surfaces. In RF (radio) applications it's frequently used to fill coax connectors before they're threaded together for example.

In low voltage applications like trailer towing harness connectors, it's excellent for keeping moisture out of the connections. I've also seen it used in high voltage DC applications as well.

I use the stuff in any electrical connection that might be exposed to moisture, whether rain, condensation, or any other source.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m

No, you can put it on everything with it, I get some marine injectors that have the electrical connector packed full of it.
This is the boot he is talking about, it looks like a poly material and not very long.

As opposed to this rubber one that tends to stick to the plug or tear.

Originally Posted By: Trav

No, you can put it on everything with it, I get some marine injectors that have the electrical connector packed full of it.
This is the boot he is talking about, it looks like a poly material and not very long.

As opposed to this rubber one that tends to stick to the plug or tear.

Ford markets a special "low voltage terminal" grease that is different from the dielectric compound.

I guess their terminals are different from all the other makes.
lol.gif
There are different bulb and socket grease and Ox-Gard but I cant see any difference in performance.
It wouldn't surprise me if they had a super trunk latch spring lube made with black unicorn tears.

Ford markets a special "low voltage terminal" grease that is different from the dielectric compound.

The Ford grease is actually Nyogel 760G:

From the description it sounds similar or may be even the same as Ox-Gard. Good for pre weather pack connectors where the wire going into the terminals are exposed and subject to corrosion.

It's different. Ox-Gard and similar products designed for use with aluminum wiring contain zinc particles. Nyogel doesn't have any zinc particles in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back