Dash cam Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for a dash cam for a trip to Colorado later this summer. I'm looking for one that won't obstruct my view and has good to excellent video capture for both day and night and maybe wi-fi capability to transfer files easily with ease of updating firmware and whatnot.

Would love to get recommendations and why from you electronic gurus out there. Price wise, I'd like it to be under $150.

I was thinking of this.

Last edited:
When I bought my first dash cam, I was basically going for inexpensive, so I could see how much use I'd get out of it. I bought this cheap dash cam for $18. Not great, but it did the trick and has held up incredibly well, even in Phoenix summer heat.

My plan, however, was to use it until it broke, or failed to do what I needed it to, and upgrade to a better one. I suspect I'll probably upgrade soon, and when I DO upgrade, this is the one I plan to buy:

Pruveeo F5 Dash Cam with WiFi. I have also considered the one you linked in your post, as it has amazing ratings. Keep in mind, though, that that one does not have WiFi. Personally, I can do without WiFi, but you mentioned it in your OP. If you want that one with WiFi, then you'll want their Third Generation version of the V1.

VIOFO A119S

Make sure you buy the real thing and not a knock off.

And use a micro SD card designed for constant recording. Example would be Transcend Endurance.

All awesome recommendations, thank you everyone! SirTanon, I like the two products in your links. I'm liking the V1 Gen 3 (thank you for the link), exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to see if it will accept up to 132GB SD card but so far, that's the one I'm "eyeing" right now.

Last edited:
There is an argument to be made that you shouldn't use a huge SD card in a dash cam. If it is stolen or lost, you will have days or weeks of footage that someone could use against you.

Assuming the dash cam is meant to capture collisions or vandalism, a smaller one will still suffice as long as you lock the file or pull it off ASAP.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
There is an argument to be made that you shouldn't use a huge SD card in a dash cam. If it is stolen or lost, you will have days or weeks of footage that someone could use against you.

Assuming the dash cam is meant to capture collisions or vandalism, a smaller one will still suffice as long as you lock the file or pull it off ASAP.

Ah, very good point. Thanks for the insight
thumbsup2.gif
So, a 32 or 64gb should suffice?

Please educate me on how dash cam work. From what I understand, it records in 3-min loops? So is it always recording when the ignition is on or does it only record for only 3 mins then stop? I've also seen some vids of it recording when car is parked and captured footage of the car being swiped by another vehicle. So I don't understand when it is able to record. Are they motion sensing when the ignition is off?

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

Ah, very good point. Thanks for the insight
thumbsup2.gif
So, a 32 or 64gb should suffice?

Please educate me on how dash cam work. From what I understand, it records in 3-min loops? So is it always recording when the ignition is on or does it only record for only 3 mins then stop? I've also seen some vids of it recording when car is parked and captured footage of the car being swiped by another vehicle. So I don't understand when it is able to record. Are they motion sensing when the ignition is off?

Even lower. I use a 16GB card in a camera that records 1080P and I hold on average 2 days of footage. (night footage takes up less space than daytime footage)

Most record in 3 or 5 min segments, and once the card is full it deletes the oldest file and continues recording. (so it's a rolling stream of footage)

Whether the camera records constantly depends on if your cig lighter plugs stay active when the ignition is off. The cameras that record while parking will need constant power, and often have a setting for 'sleep time' which is how long the camera stays active until it detects no motion. Most have a g-force sensor to detect a hit, primarily to lock the current file during a collision (so that 3 min file doesn't get overwritten).

Do not assume all of them have a robust parking mode -- you have to read the reviews for all of them to know if they implement it well.

If you have a strong feeling that your car will be hit while parked, it's best to have aux power and leave the camera running constantly while parked.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I find the suction cups are pretty useless in the northern climates with cold windows. Is there one that just plunks down on the dash and stays there?

SF

The wedge shaped ones attach to the windshield with 3M double-sided foam tape. That stuff will stick.

5 years ago I bought a Panorama II
It has a capacitor (no batteries).
But if your preferred dash-cam needs a battery, get a Lithium for the longer life.

Mine fastens to the windshield with a suction-cup.
I anticipated it falling off and have cable-ties from the camera to the mirror.
Saved it 3 times so far.

The 'normal' SD Card stopped working (would NOT rewrite over itself).
I see in another post there may be 'better' SD cards just for dash-cams.

One thing mine won't do is swivel, so if the Police pull me over, I can't film the LEO.
My next dash-cam will swivel.

If you have never had a dash-cam, you'll like having one.
In an accident, it's the BEST witness you'll find.

Last edited:
I find 32gb the best bang for the buck size/price wise. Unless you drive all day like a 18wheeler, cab, delivery service, etc... if so then at least 64gb.
Just make sure its a high endurance card.

And make sure to take the card out at least once a month to check to see if the camera and card are both still working.

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

If you have never had a dash-cam, you'll like having one.
In an accident, it's the BEST witness you'll find.

Exactly the reason I'm considering one. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I find 32gb the best bang for the buck size/price wise. Unless you drive all day like a 18wheeler, cab, delivery service, etc... if so then at least 64gb.
Just make sure its a high endurance card.

And make sure to take the card out at least once a month to check to see if the camera and card are both still working.

Thanks for the great info. Will follow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back