Castrol Edge 0w40 Formulation Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running the Castrol Edge 0W40 for a few years. I regularly send in samples to Blackstone for analysis. I noticed a significant change in the additive package around my 6/2017 and 11/2017 reports. Boron has increased from around 1-2 up to around 30-50. Calcium has increased from around 1800 up to around 2300-2500. Magnesium has dropped significantly from around 550 down to 100-200 and recently all the way down to 20-30. Zinc has increased slightly. The wear metals are all still good and low and have not changed much.

I also recently noticed that the 0W40 is now being manufactured in Belgium and not Germany as it has been in the past.

I did a search and did not find any information on the formulation changes or change in country of manufacture. Does anyone have an idea what is going on and any implications as a result of these changes?

According the most recent safety data sheets, Castrol is listing less PAO than before. I believe it is now 25-50% instead of 50-75%.

All of the certifications remain the same on the bottle, so it works for me!

Originally Posted By: drtyler
According the most recent safety data sheets, Castrol is listing less PAO than before. I believe it is now 25-50% instead of 50-75%.

Works for me.

Just changed the oil in my garden tractor this afternoon with it. Said made in Belgium. Ought to do the job of protecting that 25 hp beast.

Originally Posted By: drtyler

I didn't think manufactures gave that info. I thought they considered it a secret.

It’s sds info. It is to meet the intent for safe handling, personal protection, firefighting and spill reponse. The formulation of base oils in this case is not really revealed just the properties of the material. Companies commonly conceal trade secrets by not reveling proportions and simply meeting the intent to assure safe handling instructions are communicated. I would never take proportions given as insight into formulation, they are just to communicate physical properties for the purposes above.
It’s an sds not a formula. Those who write sds’s are not the formulators. They are communicating information for compliance purposes.

Last edited:
So does anyone have any idea on how these formulation changes may effect the performance of the oil going forward? Do we need to change the acronym for this oil from GC (German Castrol) to BC (Belgian Castrol) since it is now manufactured in Belgium as opposed to Germany?

Originally Posted By: Tmaslar
So does anyone have any idea on how these formulation changes may effect the performance of the oil going forward?

I obviously don't have any hard data on this, but the way I look at this is that if the oil still meets all the same stringent Euro mfg specs as before, then the formulation tweaks were likely small enough to not make any meaningful impact on its performance. Call me naive, but I have nothing else to go on at this point.

Also, production shifted between Germany and Belgium a number of times in the past, IIRC, so this is not the first time.

smile.gif

Last edited:
I have a 5 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 oil that reads MADE IN BELGIUM on the back side. I also have a 1 qt. container of Castrol 0W40 oil that reads MADE IN GERMANY on the backside. Why is the same oil made in (2) different countries? Is the additive package different/same in each oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back