Mann cold weather filter after 40,000 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
40429822971_3ecf8a34fb_b.jpg

And replaced with a Neuspeed P-flo intake

40386283762_79021c0d78_b.jpg

It's their "Dry filter" for now.

Have a AEM Dryflow BruteForce on order to replace the filter.

Dude, I can't hear the pssst noises from the diverter valve operating with the stock airbox. The ricer inside of me missed that with the factory setup. It was only awoken when I rode in a F-150 with a 2.7L ecoboost, where you can hear the pssst noise from the factory set up.

Plus, I can get a tune that bumps me up a few hp/tq over my current upgraded tune.

and the factory setup was a hot air intake, where the air duct was only fed from inside the hood. After some cutting of the grille, it now takes air (and water droplets) from the outside.

40386281562_0f3833452c_b.jpg

vs
The air duct is blocked off from the outside "cold air"
2016-volkswagen-tiguan-s-auto-suv-front-view.png

The slots up top is where the factory intake draws its air, from under the hood.
2012-volkswagen-tiguan-sel-4motion-engine-2.jpg

That debunks the stock intake is a CAI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
It seems the after market is a step dowm from the OEM quality.

Yes almost every test I've seen conclusively proves that!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Man, that new filter looks so cheap. I've seen spin on filters cut open with better gluing than that.

That's why I ordered an AEM Dryflow bruteforce from Amazon, along with the pre-filter cover, since it's supposed to be a hydrophobic cover.

I woud have chosen for something like the carbonio filter. Places this one yesterday on a customers Scirocco R right before remapping and als did a pre-cat delete.

Uses a pipeecross panel filter in the stock location but the intake flows better thank stock.

Originally Posted By: Tommiee
I woud have chosen for something like the carbonio filter. Places this one yesterday on a customers Scirocco R right before remapping and als did a pre-cat delete.

Uses a pipeecross panel filter in the stock location but the intake flows better thank stock.

Something I did consider, but I live in a CARB state and may move to the epicenter of CARB emissions.

No "upgraded" downpipe, since to turn off the CEL, the emissions readiness for the oxygen sensor will be disabled which is a no-go for me (had this route on my last car)

on the intake side, Neuspeed has CARB Executive Order Exemption, so it will pass inspection.
https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-236-20.pdf

So, the Neuspeed isn't the fanciest one out there, but they have what I need.

Last edited:

This one still intakes cool air from the front not just sitting inside the hot engine compartment. With tuning I can see some benefit but on a stock engine I think he might actually see a slight decrease in power/torque only an increase in noise.
What do you think?

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

No "upgraded" downpipe, since to turn off the CEL, the emissions readiness for the oxygen sensor will be disabled which is a no-go for me (had this route on my last car)

Then your tuner only turns off the fault code.
I have 200 cells cat but it does give a cell and a failed emissions readiness. After the remap i don't have a fault code and i do have a passed readiness. A custom tune with a programmer who knows what he is doing can fix that for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

This one still intakes cool air from the front not just sitting inside the hot engine compartment. With tuning I can see some benefit but on a stock engine I think he might actually see a slight decrease in power/torque only an increase in noise.
What do you think?

When you close the hood on the Scirocco, it still takes a portion of the air from inside the hot engine compartment, in addition to what air sneaks under the hood.

You probably missed the part where I mentioned, I am already tuned, and can get another tune that bumps me up a few hp/torque with the filter.

...............anyway..... AEM Dryflow BruteForce and Pre-filter wrap
25593516977_c59674fa90_b.jpg

39754133304_47ef3c30ce_b.jpg

The carbonio does not really take hot air from under the hood. Maybe 1% of the air it takes is hot air. See the air slot port in the front part.

@trav

Usually you wont see a power decrease from high flow filters in a charged engine.

The lower the intake temperature the higher te power, so a good cold air intake and a large intercooler to cool down the air after being compressed will have a positive influence.

Last edited:
The carbonio does not really take hot air from under the hood. Maybe 1% of the air it takes is hot air. See the air slot port in the front part.

@trav

Usually you wont see a power decrease from high flow filters in a charged engine.

The lower the intake temperature the higher te power, so a good cold air intake and a large intercooler to cool down the air after being compressed will have a positive influence.

I see the duct on top of the radiator support. But do you drive around with the hood open? Because when you close the hood, you close off most of the access to the outside air. The scirocco hood doesn't have a duct cut out in the hood that would directly feed the duct. It's just the gap in between the hood and the radiator support That provides the cold air. Good thing there is no seal for the hood like previous cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back