Interesting noise when shifting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello y'all

08 Saturn Astra, 32,xxx miles.

When shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, it makes a sound that sounds like dropping a bag of tools a couple inches above the floor. The sound seems like it is coming from up above the brake and gas pedals.

Here is the interesting thing: it only does it after I turn the car on and start driving, no matter if the car is hot or cold. It doesn't do it when I'm taking off from a red light or anything. I even tried shifting into park at a red light and shifting back into drive, and it didn't do it. I guess it only does it after the car was off.

Any ideas?

ABS self check? Happens at the beginning of every drive cycle. My sienna does it the first time you hit 20km/hr every drive cycle. Clunk you can hear and feel through brake pedal.

Sounds like an ABS self check.

I've had vehicles that make a buzz, but my Focus would make a huge clunk the first time taking off. Don't even notice it on my subaru.

I was driving my current car for years before I finally found out what the ABS self-test was. Up to that point I just assumed it was some sort of tranmission shifting noise or "buzzing" only occurring from 1st to 2nd. When I had an ABS failure and did some research on it...then I found out about the self-check feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back