3 years old brand new AGM battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I was thinking that my battery was going kaput ... And I purchased new replacement same specs made by Varta ( AGM )

And lol, 3 years later battery still sitting in garage, most of the time it was on battery maintainer with some periods off it.

it's a 105AH battery ... maintainer is Ctek

I have bigger Schumacher charger... Should I charger battery with it and swap it ... Or better look at yet new battery.

Opinions ?

Schumachers are battery cookers. Watch them if they touch 15V while charging you have a problem, a good charger should be in the 14.8V ish max range, I once had a Schumacher 15A charger that would go up to 16V and boil my battery

Thx guys, the Schumacher that I have has adjustable power ... I use it when I flash ECU's it's been pretty bullet proof ... But I will still with CTEK just to be on safe side.

You can use the Schumacher for bulk charging and bringing them up closer to 80% charge but I'd use the ctek from 80-100% so it doesn't cook it. The smaller maintainer will have trouble charging a heavily depleted battery. You really need a good multi meter to monitor your Schumacher to know if it's good or had, there's so many different models some may be fine and others damaging.

Remember Sears?

I bought a DieHard Platinum maybe 5 years ago when they were rebadged Odyssey's. They were having a sale and it was literally half the price of an actual Odyssey. I didn't need it, but I couldn't pass up the sale price. It too sat in my garage for 2-1/2 years until one day my battery died, luckily right in the garage. I dusted off the DieHard and installed it, didn't charge it or even check it, just put that whole 65lb mass inside my engine compartment. After connecting the cables, it fired the engine right up. I was a little surprised, thinking I might have to boost it with a jumper box, but no issues at all.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hi Guys,

I was thinking that my battery was going kaput ... And I purchased new replacement same specs made by Varta ( AGM )

Actually made and marketed by Johnson Controls since they now have rights to Varta's automotive battery business.

Quote:
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/batteries/lead-acid-batteries/battery-brands
VARTA® batteries
Since 1887, VARTA has been a top-choice premium car battery in Europe and has become a benchmark for quality, expertise and precision technology. It’s now becoming a global brand, with strong growth in China, Asia and South America. From commercial vehicles to motorcycles to boats to powersports — if you have a need, VARTA has a battery.

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/why-varta/varta-brand-history/2000-2009
2002: Johnson Controls Invests for the Future
In November 2002, global market leader Johnson Controls, Inc., acquires the VARTA® automotive battery division giving, this business unit a solid foundation for future growth. To learn more about Johnson Controls, go to johnsoncontrols.com.

Hopefully I can put in to the car ... I don't think that this is JC battery considering that it's made in Germany

Thx guys ... I borrowed load tester capable of testing AGM battery I will post results soon

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hopefully I can put in to the car ... I don't think that this is JC battery considering that it's made in Germany

They make batteries in Germany. They bought Varta's automotive battery division over a decade ago.

Quote:
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/de_de/batteries/lead-acid-batteries/flood-lead-acid-batteries
http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/de_de/batteries/lead-acid-batteries/battery-brands

VARTA®-Batterien
Seit 1887 ist VARTA die erste Wahl für Premium-Autobatterien in Europa und Maßstab für Qualität, Fachwissen und Präzisionstechnologie. Jetzt wird VARTA zu einer globalen Marke und verzeichnet starkes Wachstum in China, Asien und Südamerika. Von Nutzfahrzeugen über Motorräder bis hin zu Booten und Powersports-Fahrzeugen – für jeden Bedarf bietet VARTA die richtige Batterie.

I have no problem with Johnson Controls. If anything I'd think they'd improve over Varta. I remember getting German-made AA/AAA Varta alkaline batteries when they supplied Ikea. I thought great - "German quality". Those things leaked worse than any other alkaline battery I'd ever seen. Although probably not as bad as Swiss made Renata watch batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back