Change rotors but not pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

I need an inspection and the rotors are pretty thin. Can I replace the rotors and keep the pads?

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Folks:

I need an inspection and the rotors are pretty thin. Can I replace the rotors and keep the pads?

Why would you go cheap on one of the most Important things for your stopping? Are those pads gold or platinum?

Last edited:
I have to agree, you want to do both. You don't want to run your new rotors and brakes are vital to a vehicle like your heart and brain

In the last couple of months I've machined the rotors on a couple of my cars...and used the old pads. Someone did previous pad changes without machining, so doing a catch up. It takes a couple of hundred km's for the surfaces to match again...no problems.

Originally Posted By: fisher83
Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

thumbsup2.gif

Got it thanks guys. Apologies for the double thread - I thought I deleted the other thread.

Are not rear rotors thin to begin with. You sure you need rear rotors they don't heat up much on a compact passenger car.

Rear disc brake = high cost and headache that didn't exist with rear drums!

NO Benefit on the average car, only downside for consumer and $$$ UPSIDE for dealers and garages.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Are not rear rotors thin to begin with. You sure you need rear rotors they don't heat up much on a compact passenger car.

NO Benefit on the average car, only downside for consumer and $$$ UPSIDE for dealers and garages.

Disc brakes are MUCH easier to service than drums
smile.gif

There is absolutely no reason to replace the pads if they have > 50% remaining and do not show signs of heat damage. Place a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper on a hard, flat surface and run the pad on the sheet until the pad glazing is removed and the pad is flat again.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Disc brakes are MUCH easier to service than drums
smile.gif

Ive NEVER had to service rears at 40k now its normal. Way undersized pads. Ripoff and on purpose by Asian auto manufacturers. Yes YOU Honda and Nissan! Part of it is the ASC TS over use of rear brakes for vector correction; If you are going to overuse them, beef them up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
There is absolutely no reason to replace the pads if they have > 50% remaining and do not show signs of heat damage. Place a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper on a hard, flat surface and run the pad on the sheet until the pad glazing is removed and the pad is flat again.

+1
additionally I checked thickness on all 4 corners with digital caliper.. they were close enough... = reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back