Toyota 0W20 | 4708km | 2016 Scion FR-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a VOA on this oil last year. Click here for link

This is a summer car and I ran this oil between April to November last year with a Tokyo Roki filter. I redline the engine quite frequently, but I let the car warm up before I start thrashing on it. Most of the time it's short trips and it sees the highway only on occasion (not more than 10km at a time). I asked Blackstone if I should consider going up a grade because of my driving style, but they think it looks fine so I'll stick with 0W20.

I know that silicone and break-in metals hang around for quite a while in these engines so I'm not worried there. It's actually not as much as I've seen on other reports of this car, but I've already changed the oil three times so I'm sure that's got something to do with it. Because the TBN is still good I'm considering changing the oil once a year before I store the thing away for winter instead of every 6 months like I do now. Seems like a waste of money to change it that often...

I'm quite pleased with the report and I can't wait to drive it again in a month or so!
smile.gif

SKfrDEG.jpg

This is the second uoa here in recent weeks of a Toyota engine breaking in with hardly any wear metals. It just doesn’t get any better than this. You can definitely run the oil longer as it has plenty of life in it.

I changed the oil just before the winter with 5L PU and 0.4L PP (I had a bit leftover). Also using a Toyota filter which I know a lot of people on here don't like. It does feel lighter than the Subaru filter, but my prediction is that it's going to be just fine. I guess we'll see at the end of the year.

Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
I changed the oil just before the winter with 5L PU and 0.4L PP (I had a bit leftover). Also using a Toyota filter which I know a lot of people on here don't like. It does feel lighter than the Subaru filter, but my prediction is that it's going to be just fine. I guess we'll see at the end of the year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Toyota branded filters made by Denso. Use them with complete confidence. I have used Denso filters since 1992 when they were then known as Nippondenso. In my personal opinion, their O ring type gasket is much better than the flat rubber type on most other brands including Fram.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Toyota branded filters made by Denso. Use them with complete confidence. I have used Denso filters since 1992 when they were then known as Nippondenso. In my personal opinion, their O ring type gasket is much better than the flat rubber type on most other brands including Fram.

I'm pretty confident in using the Denso filter. The 86/FRS/BRZ crowd thinks that the Subaru filter that comes on these cars from factory is better, but I've seen no actual evidence of that, though the build quality is nice. I think most people just want the Japanese filter to be better than one from Thailand. Just out of curiosity, what makes the O ring better than the flat kind? I've noticed both the Subaru and Toyota filters have the o ring gasket, but the Wix filter I picked up today for the next oil change has the flat type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back