OCI using castrol edge vs mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is Toyota 5.7, 159000 miles. Have been using Mobil 1 0w20, OCI's range from 8-10K. I recently came across 10 gallons of free Castrol Edge 0w20 full synthetic oil. Who thinks it is safe to use the Castrol in the same manner I have used the Mobil 1 in the past? Also, no, I have never had an oil analysis done, and don't want to.

I also have a lot of Idemitsu 0w20. Would you run this over the Castrol?

Last, the Castrol edge has to be better than toyota bulk oil, right? If a Rav4 I have was doing 10k on bulk "synthetic", a junk blend in reality, I would assume I could go 10K on the Castrol, right?
Thanks

Last edited:
Exactly. Castrol is very good oil indeed. And donnyj08 is right on with the analysis about it.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Engine is Toyota 5.7, 159000 miles. Have been using Mobil 1 0w20 ...
Last, the Castrol edge has to be better than toyota bulk oil, right? ...

Do NOT underestimate Toyota 0W-20 oil. it is a VERY good oil!
Based on my research, it is made by Mobile 1 (0w-20) for Toyota plus it has some additives that Toyota has specified for their engines.

Now I have a friend who says his cars runs much smoother on Toyota 0W-20 oil and has less ticking sound. That I am still researching and not sure about but just passing on the info. I have doubts but you'll never know!

I don't think the 5.7 will mind any flavor oil you feed it. FWIW, my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 came with conventional oil as the factory fill. Once the Toyota Care free maintenance was over, I tried several different synthetics by basically picking up what was on sale or had rebates. Thus far I have used Castrol Edge Black Bottle 5w20 & 0w20, Penn Plat 5w20, Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 5w20 and TGMO 0w20. I can't tell much difference in any of them. I have some Mobil 1 EP 5w20 I'm going to put in when I change the oil in April.

Originally Posted By: klt1986
I don't think the 5.7 will mind any flavor oil you feed it. FWIW, my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 came with conventional oil as the factory fill. Once the Toyota Care free maintenance was over, I tried several different synthetics by basically picking up what was on sale or had rebates. Thus far I have used Castrol Edge Black Bottle 5w20 & 0w20, Penn Plat 5w20, Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 5w20 and TGMO 0w20. I can't tell much difference in any of them. I have some Mobil 1 EP 5w20 I'm going to put in when I change the oil in April.

good to know. that's what I thought ...

I am not even sure about the special additives that Mobile 1 supposedly puts in for Toyota! but that's what I was told and have not confirmed it yet.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The fact it’s free completely dominates over any technical decision. Use it.

This

Originally Posted By: OilUzer

I am not even sure about the special additives that Mobile 1 supposedly puts in for Toyota! but that's what I was told and have not confirmed it yet.

I have heard the same thing about TGMO. Toyota may have specified a specific amount of a certain additive and whoever produces TGMO for Toyota was happy to take their money. I do think it is a good oil but Walmart is a lot closer and cheaper for me.

I forgot to mention that I have also used Valvoline WB 5w20, as the dealer I purchased it from gave me a free oil change. They use bulk Valvoline products.

Last edited:

I have heard the same thing about TGMO. Toyota may have specified a specific amount of a certain additive and whoever produces TGMO for Toyota was happy to take their money. I do think it is a good oil but Walmart is a lot closer and cheaper for me.

I forgot to mention that I have also used Valvoline WB 5w20, as the dealer I purchased it from gave me a free oil change. They use bulk Valvoline products.

M1 and PU run the quietest in my Corolla. The TGMO is a great oil but not the quietest. Running Castrol Magnatec right now and it seems to be the "loudest". Nothing scientific though, those are my preferences with respect to oils.

OP, I'd run the Castrol. I have a completely different engine so your experience may differ. I wouldnt hesitate to use Castrol again, especially if it was free!

Last edited:
Engine is Toyota 5.7, 159000 miles. Have been using Mobil 1 0w20, OCI's range from 8-10K. I recently came across 10 gallons of free Castrol Edge 0w20 full synthetic oil. Who thinks it is safe to use the Castrol in the same manner I have used the Mobil 1 in the past? Also, no, I have never had an oil analysis done, and don't want to.

I also have a lot of Idemitsu 0w20. Would you run this over the Castrol?

Last, the Castrol edge has to be better than toyota bulk oil, right? If a Rav4 I have was doing 10k on bulk "synthetic", a junk blend in reality, I would assume I could go 10K on the Castrol, right?
Thanks

If you don't want to use the Castrol Edge or Idemitsu oils that you have, send them to me, I'll use them
grin.gif

Engine is Toyota 5.7, 159000 miles. Have been using Mobil 1 0w20 ...
Last, the Castrol edge has to be better than toyota bulk oil, right? ...

Do NOT underestimate Toyota 0W-20 oil. it is a VERY good oil!
Based on my research, it is made by Mobile 1 (0w-20) for Toyota plus it has some additives that Toyota has specified for their engines.

Now I have a friend who says his cars runs much smoother on Toyota 0W-20 oil and has less ticking sound. That I am still researching and not sure about but just passing on the info. I have doubts but you'll never know!

The factory fill 0w20, or 0w20 in sealed bottles from toyota is fine. Problem is, no one is getting that. Dealers are using the 5w20 blend for oil changes around here. Call your toyota dealer, ask what they use for synthetic motor oil. I would be surprised if they state it's full synthetic and not a blend. Never saw a blend of 0w20, so it's 5w20.

No Tundra with a 5.7 motor has ever left the factory with conventional oil. It was/is a full synthetic 0w20. When you went to the dealer is when something other than a full synthetic went into your motor.

I don't know how the dealer gets away with it, manual states full synthetic for my rav4 and tundra, but it's a blend at the dealer. This is what two dealerships have told me.

No Tundra with a 5.7 motor has ever left the factory with conventional oil. It was/is a full synthetic 0w20. When you went to the dealer is when something other than a full synthetic went into your motor.

I don't know how the dealer gets away with it, manual states full synthetic for my rav4 and tundra, but it's a blend at the dealer. This is what two dealerships have told me.

I'm sorry sir but you are incorrect concerning the 5.7 and conventional oil. In 2011( and I'd guess earlier years too) the 5.7L Tundra did come with conventional 5w-20 engine oil. Below is a picture of the maintenance guide for my truck. If you notice the top of the book says, "Schedule A-5.7L Engines" and down on the bottom of the page it says, "Non-Synthetic Engine Oil".

TpAGZvd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back