Rotary Hammer Drill Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to pull out 3 bathrooms of tile on floor. Have used a pry bar but saw someone using a rotary hammer drill.

Saw this Rotary Hammer On ebay on ebay. Would that be ok for now? Can't see using it much after but never know. It is the
right price for me.

And..what is the difference between a rotary hammer and hammer drill?

Thanks!

I removed some old ceramic tile in a bathroom with an old cold chisel. The tile had been installed about 1970 or so. I used good eye protection, put the chisel under the edge of the first tile and started tapping with a hammer. I was breaking the mastic between the tile and backer. Got it all loose in about an hour. I am not sure a hammer drill would have worked any faster, but, I never saw tile removed with one. The tiles would splinter and send shards flying, safety goggles are a MUST. A sharp splinter can fly up under normal safety glasses. Good Luck

If you have air available just take it pneumatic air chisel and angle it. That will peal that right up like nothing. Just put in some earplugs put on a face shield and enjoy the show. It’ll walk right through it

That will work as a chipping hammer or rotary drill...maybe not very long at $54 though.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-in-SDS-D-Handle-Rotary-Hammer-5262-21/203000510

This would be a better option. You can always use it and sell it to a contractor or something. I work in a field where we use chipping hammers often in Resturant maintenance. Buy the better tool...that Ebay one will be lucky to finish the job. Makita, Milwaukee, and bosch all make a 1" SDS that you can get at lowes or Home depot for under $200 and are great quality tools.

Also the rotary hammer will chisle as well as hammer drill. You can choose hammer drill, hammer only, or Drill only.

A hammer drill will only drill or hammer drill, they do not have a hammer only function generally.

For your purpose you want a Rotary Hammer commonly referred to as a "chipping Hammer"

Last edited:
I have the HF one that looks very similar. I have used the snot out of it and runs like a top. Last summer, I had to cut some 20" squares out of concrete with a demo saw. I used this type tool to break the chunks into manageable pieces. I originally bought it to drill a bunch of holes for installing 1/2" redhead anchors for my garage. I would buy one again in a heart beat.

Keep in mind that you might find a deal on Craigslist or at a Pawn Shop, garage sale, etc. I'd rather have used major brand than a new generic, then if you decide to sell it, you may get about what you paid for it.

I didn't read the whole thread but at least with the one from HF you have a 90 day warranty you can redeem at any HF store. Once your done with it either keep or sell it, get a few bucks back.
IMO jobs like this are exactly what HF stuff is made for, no point in buying a Hilti for one job.

That ebay one should be good enough for chipping tile, I had a harbor freight Chicago sds that lasted me 5 years but it would lock when used as hammer drill with a big 1" masonry bit, never had a problem with the chipping function though although when it got older it started spitting grease.
I purchased a Makita SDS plus since and it works pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back