Suggestion for Oil/Additive for Mazda Engine Tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Mazda 6 with a 3.7L that has a ticking that is typical and normal, but annoying.

Owner's manual calls for 5w20. However, it goes on to say that if 5w20 isn't available, then 10w-30, 10w-40, or 5w-40. Either should be SM or ILSAC. OCIs according to owner's manual are 7500 miles.

I live in Southern California and rarely in temperatures below 20 Farenheit. In the warm season, I see temps of up to 120 Farenheit. This car used for a lot of City driving, but does see on average three 50 to 60 mile trips on the highway a week. I'm a moderate driver; no torquing at take off, and the car love 75 to 80 MPH on the highway.

I've been running Mobil 1 high mileage full syn with Wix filters for approximately a year, since I bought the car. Prior to that, the previous owner had a lifetime oil change deal when he bought the car from a then Mazda/Ford dealer. So, the dealer gave me the history and they did oil changes just about every 2,500 miles.

The 3.7L Mazda used has a signature tick. The fuel injectors alone are noisy. However, the engine itself has its own noisy tick.

After reading through many posts, forums, and various oil websites, it seems to me that the noise I have may benefit from molybdenum; as an additive, or oil with an additive package that contains this "stuff".

I've read about the Liqui Moly MoS2 product. I've read what Schaeffer's offers in their 9000 full syn with their "proprietary" Micron Moly. I've read along the way about Idemitsu full syn; there were claims along the way that Mazda was using Idemitsu oil with moly. Then there's the much touted Amsoil signature series.

I know I'm using good oil and filters. If there is something that can help with the ticking, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Those Ford engines do get ticky.

I would try a 5w-30 considering your location and climate. Stay away from additives. If Moly is what you are looking for most oils have it already.

You didn’t mention how many miles are on this motor but a recent analysis of Havoline HM synblend showed a nice chunk of moly and boron. That would be one example. Pennzoil Gold is another good synblend.

The car has 104k miles. I expect some noise from an engine with this many miles, but every YouTube video I've seen on this engine going back 5 to 6 years, every one of those engines was ticking like a son of a biscuit.

I would try mobil 1, castrol, or pennzoil 0W-40, considering your climate, especially for the summers. My next choice would be Valvoline full synthetic maxlife 5W-30.

One interesting additive I've used is Hyperlube Zinc Replacement Additive. It is a polymeric ester made by AkzoNobel chemicals. The molecules are very polar, so they help the oil cling to metal much better. Also, Molakule has worked with these esters in the past, and he approves of this additive. The engine I tried it in was a nissan 3.5L V6, and it stopped all of the ticking it had. The only problem is that this stuff is $20 a 12oz bottle at the parts stores. The only reason I got some was I found some at Ollie's for $5 a bottle.

I went on youtube and they all have that spun bearing sound. Maybe it's just the nature of those engines? 104K miles is low miles to me.

ZRA is interesting. AKZO NOBEL SURFACE CHEMISTRY LLC is indeed mentioned right in the MSDS as supplier. Hmmm An ester that can perform EP function like ZDDP?

I recently tried redline in my Montero for the first time in 24 years. My 3.5 DOHC, is famous for lifter tick. The engine has never been quieter. It just anecdotal. The only negative is the cost of redline. But, I plan on doing some extreme 4x4, so we shall see.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Well, I got to keep the lifetime XM Sirius satellite radio subscription. That's gotta count for something...

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I recommend lubegard biotech for your ticking problems.

I looked into this product and there seems to be a few Ford owners that claim good results. The 3.7 I have is part of the Ford cyclone family of engines. I'll definitely keep reading up on this product

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton
I would try mobil 1, castrol, or pennzoil 0W-40, considering your climate, especially for the summers. My next choice would be Valvoline full synthetic maxlife 5W-30.

One interesting additive I've used is Hyperlube Zinc Replacement Additive. It is a polymeric ester made by AkzoNobel chemicals. The molecules are very polar, so they help the oil cling to metal much better. Also, Molakule has worked with these esters in the past, and he approves of this additive. The engine I tried it in was a nissan 3.5L V6, and it stopped all of the ticking it had. The only problem is that this stuff is $20 a 12oz bottle at the parts stores. The only reason I got some was I found some at Ollie's for $5 a bottle.

When looking into using an additive, do these products thin out the oil? Would it be appropriate to go with a slightly heavier oil to compensate for the thinner additive; I'm assuming these additives are thinner than 5w20. The only additive product I've used was Marvel Oil back in mid-80s.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I went on youtube and they all have that spun bearing sound. Maybe it's just the nature of those engines? 104K miles is low miles to me.

That sound is the nature of these engines. Mechanically, my engine is tip top. Just that sound...annoying as heck for me.

Originally Posted By: ZraHamilton

Are there any serious concerns with effects on catalytic converters with something like this Hyperlube product?

Rislone does a good job of cleaning dirty lifters, is readily available, and cheap. Kreen is a great cleaner but tougher and more expensive to obtain. Lubegard biotech is good for friction sticking tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back