Yet another Mattress thread / question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife had enough of my old mattress. It is only a queen but the 2 daughters want to squeeze in every night (I sleep on a Twin elsewhere), so it is too small. It is also 12 years old and according to her "not supportive" anymore and cause back pain.

The old mattress is a Simmons Beautyrest World Series (or something like that) from 2006, about 2-3 years ago we added a 1" latex foam pad from TheFoamFactory.com to make it "more comfortable", and it has a electric mattress heater pad on top, plus some cotton padding on top of it. The bed frame was a Costco generic slate bed with 3/4" furniture grade plywood reinforced on top of the wood slate (very soft).

We tried those 2-3" pillow top innerspring from Macy's, but it doesn't work too well for us. We were thinking of a few options on King size:

1) Mail order foam from places like TN, Purple, etc etc. With 100 or so days of free trial, we can try till the cows come home until we know what works and what doesn't work.

2) Hotel mattresses. We've tried one that is perfect but it is in Cancun, maybe it is a local one or something hotel only (CONTROL DE ARGOLLADO, HEALTH REST MATRIMONIAL). Another one that's ok is from Best Western Plus Oceanside Palms, CA, according to the manger I call it is called Serta Fireblocker EL8804 with an unknown mattress pad on top (strap on), but Serta direct sales doesn't know what it is. My guess is it is their double side Concierge Suite II (Presidential Suite II is way too thick and I don't remember we have an Euro Top). I've also heard from some retailers that most Hotel uses Serta but there are also some Simmons with EZ Zip for the replaceable padding going around. Unfortunately this route we have no way to test other than a hotel stay and no return, refund, etc if things doesn't work out.

Any advice?

Last edited:
I bought my son a mattress from Amazon for like $200. He likes it a lot.

We have owned a Lull mattress for several years. By far the best mattress we have owned in over 50 years of marriage... Not that cheap but worth it for us. 100 night trial as well.

Lull

TemperPedic is great, I've had mine since 03 and it's been great. Also have a Serta Memory Foam in the house from Sam's Club that feels a lot like the Temperpedic for a fraction of the price.

+1 for $200 king from amazon ebay. Have had one for 3 years now and its just as good as $1500 tempurpedic.

Consumer Reports has articles you should read on this topic.

We just bought a Lisa. It's better than our old queen mattress. (normal mattress construction).

But I would like something firmer.

Have you tried your local Costco? Also online they have more....

First decide with wife the firminess level desired...(medium firm, firm,......)

Why didn't you put this question last week? President's sales just passed....

re: Skyaktiv, Of course it interferes...
But small kids and the mythology of Mommy and Daddy 's bed.....
Between kids and him, who do you think Mom is going to choose? (hint, maternal instinct)

Both my kids have firm mattresses. We raise the head portion when cold season hits...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You need to break your daughters of this daily routine. Does it interfere with your sex life?

I physically move them back to their own bed when I go to bed (around 12:30-1:00). Sex life is a whole different subject due to sleep disturb / tiredness / room temperature / excuses reasons unrelated to kids.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You need to break your daughters of this daily routine. Does it interfere with your sex life?

I physically move them back to their own bed when I go to bed (around 12:30-1:00). Sex life is a whole different subject due to sleep disturb / tiredness / room temperature / excuses reasons unrelated to kids.

You only live once! Life is not be be enjoyed when you're 80's

Maybe a vacation without kids?

Or kids in different rooms?

oh, and Panda, Please change the pillows too.
In this case probably different types for you and wife based on neck form and firmness
Less neck and shoulders hurt may cure some of the tiredness...

My aunt used to own a mattress company for the Midwest division. It began with the letter "S" and two syllables. Sold it years ago after a large offer came in, too good to refuse.

I've posted this before, but for the money, this is the best mattress you can get. Forget about mattresses with foam bases if you want long lasting firm support. You need quality individually encased spring coils. With latex as the comfort layer on top of springs, you'll get the best support, and it you can select the firmness of the latex foam. This mattress would retail in a store for probably $3,000 to $4,000.

https://www.mattresses.net/ulhypoco.html

Last edited:
Agree that individually-encased springs are good. That's what my Simmons Beauty Rest has. Top layer is memory foam; I don't think it's latex.

Hotels put a topper on the mattress sometimes, so the feel is not only the mattress.

I like a firm mattress, one that can be flipped on both sides. That way I can keep flipping it and put on my own memory foam topper. Sealy is my go to make having tried a few.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I like a hybrid mattress "Sapira" - TOP 5 Best hybrid mattress in USA more info. Back in July, I went with a Beauty Rest "Callista" Extra-Firm. Love it.

Strongly support you! I liked this type of mattress especially Purple!

Serta Memory Foam is a very good one

or "Bob-o-pedic", which is the house brand for Bob's Furniture Stores in the northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back