Another Amsoil Price Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
At what point, if not already, does Amsoil begin to lose the core of their base due to continuing price increases? I was once an Amsoil preferred customer and purchased quite a bit years ago. But in reality, oils for half of their price point appear to serve the same purpose with comparable results. Other than die hard Amsoil “fans” who ponies up twice the cash for this company’s lubricants anymore?

I would assume that is the case. However, we never see Amsoil on “clearance” so the opportunity to purchase it at 25-50% doesn’t occur. The fact that a quality synthetic can be purchased at 25% of Amsoil’s price only begs the question further.

I just bought some Amsoil to try it out in the 4Runner, planning to extend intervals, save oil, good for the planet, etc etc.

But if they keep raising the price and I can get the same results and almost the same length of OCI with a less expensive alternative, then any advantage to extending intervals goes away.

I used to run Amsoil signature series when it was much cheaper. Now, you can go to Walmart and get Mobil 1 EP or AP for a lot less for the same protection. Amsoil used to also have an edge on their beefy oil filters, but with the Fram Ultra available at Walmart for less money without shipping costs and headaches, I don't know why anyone would run Amsoil now.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
I just bought some Amsoil to try it out in the 4Runner, planning to extend intervals, save oil, good for the planet, etc etc.

But if they keep raising the price and I can get the same results and almost the same length of OCI with a less expensive alternative, then any advantage to extending intervals goes away.
How is running Amsoil good for the planet?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: JLTD

How is running Amsoil good for the planet?

Extended OCI saves oil vs 5,000 mi changes

When Amsoil and brand X both can be in the sump for comparable intervals, the 5K argument is moot. The point being that there are alternatives to Amsoil’s 10-15K intervals for half the price. We are not talking about 5K intervals. Dino can do that.

Last edited:
Also they just introduced free shipping for members for orders over $100 and a low $4.95 flat rate shipping for orders over $50. They have to make up the money some how.

My experience is that shipping rates have gone up tremendously in the last year.

Rising raw-material costs have prompted most major and independent lubricant companies, including ExxonMobil, Castrol, Chevron and Shell, to announce 4-10 percent price increases effective in February and March. These rising costs also affect AMSOIL, requiring us to implement an average price increase of 3-6 percent in the U.S. and Canada effective April 9, 2018.

Updated pricing information is available in the Product Pricing Interface in the Account Zone at www.amsoil.com. To access pricing effective April 9, select a product type in the menu, then select “Future Pricing.

So 4/8/18 will be the turning point where I order my Amsoil or use oil available from Walmart (5 qt jug) and say it is close enough in protection.

Reality is... the vehicle (seats, suspension, paint, rust, etc.) will wear out before the engine. Also a good possibility I will be worn out before many of my cars.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
What is the date of the increase and how much?

Here ya go, from another thread:

https://jobbersworldblog.com/category/price-changes-within-the-industry/

Now you can pick your favorite oil company and decide when they become too expensive to use and move on to something else.
wink.gif

Ed

Last edited:
If you check out YouTube, there oil filters are not that great, especially for the price when you see a new one cut open. There filter is the exact same one as RP. I personally use a Purolator boss. Order it on Amazon prime for 9 bucks. No shipping. There is almost always a 3 dollar off coupon on check out

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
If you check out YouTube, there oil filters are not that great, especially for the price when you see a new one cut open. There filter is the exact same one as RP. I personally use a Purolator boss. Order it on Amazon prime for 9 bucks. No shipping. There is almost always a 3 dollar off coupon on check out

You're using a Purolator and knocking on an Amsoil Ea filter!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back