Replace rotors but not pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks:

I'm coming up on a state inspection. My rotors are below spec, but the pads a relatively new.

Can I replace just the rotors but not the pads?

Thanks!

Apologies - wrong forum, if a Mod can move, I would appreciate....

Last edited:
The cheapo in me says if the new pads are riding on old rotors without heavy grooves, then
the pads should 'bed' OK on new rotors. If you drive it gently and give the pads a chance
to mate with new rotors, no one should notice. If the brakes start pulling to one side or
the other, then you may have spring for new pads too.

I've done it. I had very low mileage pads on when the internal parking brake parts were making noises, so I replaced the rotors but kept the pads. I did use some coarse sand paper to flatten away any rotational marks and let the pads start fresh.

I have done it on a few trucks due to rotor rot. I always square the pads up by cleaning them on flat concrete. It removes the glaze on them and allows them to bed well on the new rotors. You could also do the same thing on a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper.

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
if the new pads are riding on old rotors without heavy grooves, then
the pads should 'bed' OK on new rotors.

^ My understanding as well.

I used to just get lifetime pads. So anytime I change the rotors I put in new pads. Does your state actually check the thickness of the rotors? Around here a full inspection is supposed to take 45 minutes but the inspectors blow through them in 5 minutes.

If the pads are eating the rotors, they are probably embedded with iron particles, and will eat the new rotors, too.
I've been through this on my Camaro. Change the pads when you change the rotors.

I would say it has a lot to do with the pads, pads that have a lot of bite eg semi metallic will try to grind the rotors to them, soft pads will probably wear to the new rotor although in any case expect reduced performance at least initially.
Generally new rotors, new pads.

You can, but it seems pointless.

Also, make sure you get coated rotors, so they won't rust overnight. Centric Premium, Wagner E-coated, or EBC Plain rotors are the best
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You can, but it seems pointless.

Also, make sure you get coated rotors, so they won't rust overnight. Centric Premium, Wagner E-coated, or EBC Plain rotors are the best
smile.gif

Those help a bunch too...

A Dodge B2500 van I bought recently had nearly new pads on some wavy, but not grooved rotors. I had pulsing in the brake pedal and jerky stopping. I had bought new rotors and pads, but after seeing that the pads hadn't even worn in completely I reinstalled them.

A few years ago the 1997 BMW M3 I bought got new rotors and retained the hardly used pads as well. No issues on either vehicle.

Were the rotors and pads both replaced, or the rotors lathed last time the pads were replaced? What vehicle, and which (front, rear, disc or drum?) ?

Please clarify your question. Did you measure the rotors with a dial micrometer and find them thinner than the listed minimum? Or take them to be lathed and was told they're too thin?

I'm doubtful. They'd have to be removed, and why would you then put them back on?

Otherwise, where is this coming from, your idea that the rotors are thin? Are they or are they not working properly and without excessive grooves?

If they are working properly without excessive grooves there is no reason to replace them. If they are not, you must assess the whole brake system to determine if the rotors are at fault or not.

If there are deep grooves to the point where the pads are also unevenly worn, yes then you should replace both the rotors and pads.

How about linking some 45' angle pictures of the front and back of the worst rotor and pad?

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi folks:

I'm coming up on a state inspection. My rotors are below spec, but the pads a relatively new.

Can I replace just the rotors but not the pads?

Thanks!

Apologies - wrong forum, if a Mod can move, I would appreciate....

Are these new pads that were installed recently on old buggered rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back