Orange can of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Now it's the WCTOD.....white can tearolator of doom.

Never heard of it . Accept here . But orange can of death Word is all over the internet . All over any other car forum . I don’t think that will ever be forgot . Fram having such a bad rep . That ultra won’t save them
grin.gif

What about Japanese and Chinese made products from the 1960's and 1970's. How about Quaker State and even Pennzoil oils causing engine sludge decades ago? All L-O-N-G since forgotten among 98% of the public. Ask the public about the OCOD. You'll get puzzled looks from 90% of them. I used only cheap Fram OCOD's from 1997 to around 2007....never any issues. I used Quaker State oils in that same period. Never any sludging.

Internet Super Hero's and their hyped up hate ! !!!!! The fleet where I work has used Fram filters going back to the 80's and cheap bulk dino oil with yearly oil changes, the bodies rotted out before a single engine failure.

More for me-I would use more Wix/Napa Golds if they were less than $9 each! Family members roughly push their Extra Guards 10K+, I haven't seen one mess up yet-for less than HALF the price!

Yea that it . Cause peoples like you that make me hate fram even more . Always try show the # fram pull out from sky to make other filter less quality . How much real world different in percent to make a different . I can’t tell you how stupid this is . So the filter have just lightly less microns will make the engine blow up ? Always try compare the number with other filter brand . So for you all the rest of filter brand is [censored] and fram is superior . “ yes Napa silver is good but efficiently is lower” that such a ignorance commend . Why any one want listen to this ? Yes I’m speak how I felt . If some one bring up a good oil filter other then fram . Don’t shove down their throat with bias fram % # efficiency . This site is not use to be like the way it was before . No one can speak their mind without being push down by a group of peoples . Wix. Napa . Champ . Purolator . OREILLY main brand . Carquest . Autozone main brand . Advance auto part main brand oil filters . All these are good filter . Use it with confident . Dont worried about % or what ever . Keep it simple . Dont over think like 99% of BOTOG . Life is short . Rather sit here worrrie stress over nothing . Best I can say to 99% of BITOG IS . ONE filter ONE oil change . Follow YOUR owner manual OCI . EVERTHING about what your cars need is print in there . Stick with ANY brand name oil and ANY brand name oil filter and your engine will outlast the body . When it come to doing tune up . What ever you take out . Replace it with new exactly same part number . If that original plug last 90k . Put new original plug back in . Live your life happy stress free over these little thing . Remember those and you will note how simple it’s . No more worried . No more stress . and STAY away from fram OCOD ( orange can of death ) the worse oil filter on planet , accept ultra , you know what ? Forget ultra too , peace -MetalSlug-

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: blupupher
So you will use a derivative of the Fram design (the fiber end caps) on the Champ made filter, yet are trashing Fram for not having metal endcaps? I am not even going to talk about the combo valve on the Champ made filters. Nor the 95% @ 29 microns for Supertech vs 95% @ 20 microns for the Fram.

Yeah, the logic obviously isn't there. Logic doesn't exist when a super biased hater is suggesting filters. Just look at the hateful signature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
.... I used only cheap Fram OCOD's from 1997 to around 2007....never any issues. I used Quaker State oils in that same period. Never any sludging.

Oops. That was a typo on my part. I used them from 1977-2007....30 yrs. Then also tried M/C, Puro's. Back to FUG's now.

Yea that it . Cause peoples like you that make me hate fram even more . Always try show the # fram pull out from sky to make other filter less quality . How much real world different in percent to make a different . I can’t tell you how stupid this is . So the filter have just lightly less microns will make the engine blow up ? Always try compare the number with other filter brand . So for you all the rest of filter brand is [censored] and fram is superior . “ yes Napa silver is good but efficiently is lower” that such a ignorance commend . Why any one want listen to this ? Yes I’m speak how I felt . If some one bring up a good oil filter other then fram . Don’t shove down their throat with bias fram % # efficiency . This site is not use to be like the way it was before . No one can speak their mind without being push down by a group of peoples . Wix. Napa . Champ . Purolator . OREILLY main brand . Carquest . Autozone main brand . Advance auto part main brand oil filters . All these are good filter . Use it with confident . Dont worried about % or what ever . Keep it simple . Dont over think like 99% of BOTOG . Life is short . Rather sit here worrrie stress over nothing . Best I can say to 99% of BITOG IS . ONE filter ONE oil change . Follow YOUR owner manual OCI . EVERTHING about what your cars need is print in there . Stick with ANY brand name oil and ANY brand name oil filter and your engine will outlast the body . When it come to doing tune up . What ever you take out . Replace it with new exactly same part number . If that original plug last 90k . Put new original plug back in . Live your life happy stress free over these little thing . Remember those and you will note how simple it’s . No more worried . No more stress . and STAY away from fram OCOD ( orange can of death ) the worse oil filter on planet , accept ultra , you know what ? Forget ultra too , peace -MetalSlug-

So you will use a derivative of the Fram design (the fiber end caps) on the Champ made filter, yet are trashing Fram for not having metal endcaps? I am not even going to talk about the combo valve on the Champ made filters. Nor the 95% @ 29 microns for Supertech vs 95% @ 20 microns for the Fram.

Yeah, the logic obviously isn't there. Logic doesn't exist when a super biased hater is suggesting filters. Just look at the hateful signature.

Proper English can go a long way to help prove a point.

Last edited:
Great point Bullwinkle.

I just saw the Wix 57356 go from a very reasonable $7.49 to a whooping $8.99!!! That is a heck of an increase.

However... I just got a Federated Auto oil filter that's built like a tank, 99% @ 20 microns, silicone ADBV etc.. for $5.39 and that's an everyday price. This filter is what used to be sold at AZ has their XL oil filter. It is exactly the same filter. I'm going back to buy a couple more of them at that price.

Yea that it . Cause peoples like you that make me hate fram even more. Always try show the # fram pull out from sky to make other filter less quality . How much real world different in percent to make a different . I can’t tell you how stupid this is . So the filter have just lightly less microns will make the engine blow up ? Always try compare the number with other filter brand . So for you all the rest of filter brand is [censored] and fram is superior . “ yes Napa silver is good but efficiently is lower” that such a ignorance commend . Why any one want listen to this ? Yes I’m speak how I felt .

I guess hate really makes someone blind. Lot's of people besides me talk about high efficiency oil filters. You've failed to follow along and understand that efficiency numbers do matter to a lot of people. If people don't care, then great ... carry on using what you want. So don't get all hateful if people say Filter A is more efficient that Filter B when the ISO test data says that. Those are facts, not hateful opinions like you're comments are. Just look at your signature and tell me you don't have some hate agenda going on. You think I'd look real mature if I put some derogatory comment about the WIX XP in my signature?

If some one bring up a good oil filter other then fram . Don’t shove down their throat with bias fram % # efficiency . This site is not use to be like the way it was before . No one can speak their mind without being push down by a group of peoples . Wix. Napa . Champ . Purolator . OREILLY main brand . Carquest . Autozone main brand . Advance auto part main brand oil filters . All these are good filter . Use it with confident . Dont worried about % or what ever . Keep it simple . Dont over think like 99% of BOTOG . Life is short .

It's not biased efficiency numbers ... it's the ISO test numbers. You think all these companies are lying about their published numbers? Bone up on advertisement rules & regulations and associated law suites for false advertising. And yes, this site has always been that way - people will show numbers and facts all day long to show why they think one product is better than another ... they don't just go on some 20 year old internet tale that something is bad about a product. That's ignorance at it's best.

IF you've been paying attention I've talked about plenty of other filter brands being good filters beside the Ultra. Have said many times that many filters have good efficiency (I like anything 95% @ 20u or better) and built quality. I've used many brands over the years. In fact, did you know I use to talk up the PureOne (another very efficient filter) big time 4+ year ago. Showed many people how the old internet false tale of the PureOne being too flow restrictive was all a false rumor because nobody had any real data to back up their misconception. Lots of misconceptions going on with oil filters ... it's funny, mostly that you hate the orange Fram because it doesn't have metal end caps but talk good about other filters that don't have metal end caps. No logic there, just hate.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: NO2
That was from back in the bad old days

Why would you use any product from a company who once had a nickname "Orange can of death"?!?

Are there not plenty of other oil filters on the market that don't have much a bad history? Lol.

Not a FRAM fanboy, but vaunted HONDA and Subaru O.E. service filter purchased from the dealer are FRAM. The OE are equivalent to the Toughguard.

Me I like the old Champion Labs DELCO the best. A decade or two ago Pur-O-Lator was Pure-oil-leaker. Had many a seam leak or flat gasket leak.

You are going to destroy most any brand if your sump is full of water and gas from short tripping and your goosing it cold.

From what I could tell, Fram made the only aftermarket filter with a high enough bypass pressure for my FB25 Subaru engine/ So it got the top end Fram

Not til they change to metal end cap . It’s still orange can of death and worse filter on planet in my book . This site flood with fram fan boy and fram speak representative . So you will see a lot recommend orange can of death . Pay little more and get something solid . [censored] im even pick that new encore Super tech oil filter over that fram ocod . For 3k oil change anything will do anyway .

You've been here long enough to know "metal end cap is better" is a myth.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Great point Bullwinkle.

I just saw the Wix 57356 go from a very reasonable $7.49 to a whooping $8.99!!! That is a heck of an increase.

However... I just got a Federated Auto oil filter that's built like a tank, 99% @ 20 microns, silicone ADBV etc.. for $5.39 and that's an everyday price. This filter is what used to be sold at AZ has their XL oil filter. It is exactly the same filter. I'm going back to buy a couple more of them at that price.
I saw that too, believe it's the same as the Premium Guard Extended Life filter. I picked up 3 of the PG XLs from Rock Auto recently, if they work out OK I'm going to try to get a deal through my BIL who works for Federated/KOI here in their warehouse. Hoping they can handle 10K runs as rated.

I for one appreciate ZeeOSix and other members providing factual data or numbers to support their debates when it comes to filter efficiency. This site has provide me with a wealth of information regarding oil and filters by just reading.

Towards the end of the day, we use what we like.

Here's hoping for a civil debate
cheers3.gif

Fiber endcaps have some advantages over metal which is why Fram patented them in the first place. People with a bias toward them don't really understand what an endcap DOES and DOES NOT do.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
... Proper English can go a long way to help prove a point.
It can. Wildly improper English definitely goes a long way to torpedo the user's credibility.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Absolutely nothing wrong with fiber end caps.

Fram tried an advertising campaign to get folks to accept the fiber end cap, but when the feedback showed it failed, it was a board room decision to build the Ultra, the best dog gone filter ever made. It's now the Orange Can of Delight.

SF

I used to be anti-Fram and only ran Purolator the past few years. How wrong was I? LOL.

I like Frams now. I like the TG the best but with orangie getting the silicone ADBV, I think I'll just get that. I'm not an oil collector, I buy per oil change so it's easy to get an oil and filter at Walmart.

^^^^^^^
Something tells me that you are right about that.

One thing Fram did to make the orange cans better was adding more media and pleats. This has made them far better on average upon dissection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back