LL-01 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kaiser
Someone here tried the Original BMW MTwinturbo 0w40 ?
Is it compatible with 3 ways catalytic converter on a N55 ? for me yes (because used on M3, M4, M5 ... and they alls have 3WCC)

BMW 0W-40 "TwinPower Turbo" is no more. It has been replaced by the 5W-30 variant.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Someone here tried the Original BMW MTwinturbo 0w40 ?
Is it compatible with 3 ways catalytic converter on a N55 ? for me yes (because used on M3, M4, M5 ... and they alls have 3WCC)

BMW 0W-40 "TwinPower Turbo" is no more. It has been replaced by the 5W-30 variant.

You sure that is the case in Germany? In Europe BMW is still pushing hard heavy oils.

Yes in Germany is still available.
When you go to dealer for an oil service you have the choice between 3 viscosity :
- Twinpower Turbo 0w30 LL04
- Twinpower Turbo 5w30 LL04
- M Twinpower Turbo 0w40 LL01

Yes in Germany is still available.
When you go to dealer for an oil service you have the choice between 3 viscosity :
- Twinpower Turbo 0w30 LL04
- Twinpower Turbo 5w30 LL04
- M Twinpower Turbo 0w40 LL01

Yep, we do not get LL-04 0W30. We do not get a lot of oils that Europe has.
If I owned n55 in Germany? 0W40 would be my choice.

For the next oil service, I'm hesitating between the Twinpower Turbo 5w30 (which I actually run), and the M Twinturbo 0w40 LL01.
I think a xw40 viscosity is better for a N55 (because I go to Spain, Italy, Morroco during Summer holliday and the temperature reaches 45°C in these countries)

In my book it is written that I can run LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04.
But when I asked the dealer, he said me to avoid the LL-01 in the N55 engine because the LL01 creates sludges in the turbo and in the 3 ways catalictic converter... It's a non sense for me because the M cars have also turbos and catalictics converter

For the next oil service, I'm hesitating between the Twinpower Turbo 5w30 (which I actually run), and the M Twinturbo 0w40 LL01.
I think a xw40 viscosity is better for a N55 (because I go to Spain, Italy, Morroco during Summer holliday and the temperature reaches 45°C in these countries)

In my book it is written that I can run LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04.
But when I asked the dealer, he said me to avoid the LL-01 in the N55 engine because the LL01 creates sludges in the turbo and in the 3 ways catalictic converter... It's a non sense for me because the M cars have also turbos and catalictics converter

Get Castrol 0W40. Reason for that is that it meets also MB229.5 which is very stringent on deposits.
As for sludge, change dealer. What sludge? Change oil regularly and you will be fine. BMW 0W40 TPT has really good NOACK, not sure how excessive oil will end up in catalytic converter.
If you are concern about that, get Mobil1 5W30 ESP which has NOACK of 5.6%.

Yes the BMW Original oils have very good specs (thanks to Shell GTL) , that's why I want to stay with the original oils (and moreover that will not break my warranty) My dealer said me to use only BMW original oils during the warranty (my warranty will end in february 2019)

Yes the BMW Original oils have very good specs (thanks to Shell GTL) , that's why I want to stay with the original oils (and moreover that will not break my warranty) My dealer said me to use only BMW original oils during the warranty (my warranty will end in february 2019)

Another reason to change your dealer as edyvw suggested. Any oil that carries the actual required specification is not going to jeopardize the warranty.

Yes, I know in USA dealers are more "flexible" with the oil brands, but here in Europe, they are very very inflexible, they try to find the slightest excuse to cancel the warranty.

And in Germany it's a little more "flexible", I have a friend who lives in France, he owns a Volkswagen Passat TDI and he exceeded the maintenance interval by 5 km. And a day he get trouble with his engine under the warranty period. VW refused to take care of repairs because he exceed the maintenance interval...

Yes, I know in USA dealers are more "flexible" with the oil brands, but here in Europe, they are very very inflexible, they try to find the slightest excuse to cancel the warranty.

And in Germany it's a little more "flexible", I have a friend who lives in France, he owns a Volkswagen Passat TDI and he exceeded the maintenance interval by 5 km. And a day he get trouble with his engine under the warranty period. VW refused to take care of repairs because he exceed the maintenance interval...

Exceeding the maintenance interval is different than using one oil over the other that carries the required specification for the engine. I don't agree with 5km but it's not the same thing.

Does your owner's manual say that you must use the BMW branded oil? What you posted said that "In my book it is written that I can run LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04." That is not the same as saying you must use BMW oil, it is stating a specification not a brand.

But use whatever makes you feel safe, there's nothing wrong with the BMW oil. I'd still ditch that goofy dealer though for telling you that LL-01 causes sludge. That's pulled right out of the wrong orifice and he has no idea what he's talking about. If he's that far off on this topic then who knows what else he's wrong about.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Exceeding the maintenance interval is different than using one oil over the other that carries the required specification for the engine. I don't agree with 5km but it's not the same thing.

Does your owner's manual say that you must use the BMW branded oil? What you posted said that "In my book it is written that I can run LL-01, LL-01 FE and LL-04." That is not the same as saying you must use BMW oil, it is stating a specification not a brand.

But use whatever makes you feel safe, there's nothing wrong with the BMW oil. I'd still ditch that goofy dealer though for telling you that LL-01 causes sludge. That's pulled right out of the wrong orifice and he has no idea what he's talking about. If he's that far off on this topic then who knows what else he's wrong about.

In the USA we are protected from such practices by the Magnusson-Moss act. In less free areas of the world they have less choice.

NOT TRUE!!!
While consumers are more protected in the U.S., Magnusson-Moss Act for example cannot protect you if you use wrong oil. That means you must use approved oil. You can change it anywhere, but it needs to be approved oil for that engine.
Same is in Europe. Castrol 0W40 is approved by BMW. Use it! Mobil1 5W30 ESP is approved by BMW (arguably, next to Castrol 0W30 LL-04, best oil that carries LL-04 approval.
I forgot you guys have access to Castrol 0W30 LL-04. That is next to 10W60 only oil right now in Castrol line up in Germany that is PAO based.
As long as oil is approved, use it.
What is OCI for N55 in Germany? I think your dealer is scaring you, but if he saw sludge in engines it is due to long OCI.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
In the USA we are protected from such practices by the Magnusson-Moss act. In less free areas of the world they have less choice.

It cannot be true anywhere that using the oil specified by the owner's manual can violate the warranty. That's just silly.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Magnusson-Moss Act is government at action. Some would argue (businesses) that that is not how free market works.Since Magnusson-Moss act is administrative state in action, Germans might say: yeah, take your Magnusson-Moss Act, we at least do not bankrupt because of medical bills because of our administrative state in action.
However, put in BMW ACEA A1 oil or ILSAC GF-5 oil, and no Act will protect you. You still have to use what manufacturer is requiring. Per Act you do not have to do it in dealership. If I take my BMW to the Grease Monkey shop and they put same oil they put in Dodge Durango R/T, there is no Act that can make BMW honor warranty.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

NOT TRUE!!!
While consumers are more protected in the U.S., Magnusson-Moss Act for example cannot protect you if you use wrong oil. That means you must use approved oil. You can change it anywhere, but it needs to be approved oil for that engine.
Same is in Europe. Castrol 0W40 is approved by BMW. Use it! Mobil1 5W30 ESP is approved by BMW (arguably, next to Castrol 0W30 LL-04, best oil that carries LL-04 approval.
I forgot you guys have access to Castrol 0W30 LL-04. That is next to 10W60 only oil right now in Castrol line up in Germany that is PAO based.
What is OCI for N55 in Germany? I think your dealer is scaring you, but if he saw sludge in engines it is due to long OCI.

It depends on how you drive the car, initially is 30000km, but the CBS can calculate a bigger OCI or a smaller OCI according to how you drive.
A car which is driven only in city and does a lot of short travels or if you drive a lot on the autobahn at high speed the Idrive tell you to change every 20000km, or if you drive a lot on the autobahn but not at high speed the idirve can tell you to change the oil after 35000 or 40000km.

Personally I change the oil every 10000km (I do an oil change my self in my house with my oil but I buy an OEM BMW oil filter) without reset the OCI indicator, and when I reach the OCI indicated by the idrive I go to the dealer to change the oil without tell him that I already changed the oil betwenn two oil changes (that keeps the warranty available, and that gives me a clean car history for the futur)

When I bought my car, it was filled with Castrol Profesionnal BMW LL04 5w30, then the two others oil changes has been done "normally" with BMW original TwinPower Turbo 5w30 LL04.

I am interested in a point, the oil you buy at the dealer is the OEM BMW (Shell) but the oil used by the service shop when you go for an oil service, is it really the OEM BMW (Shell) or they use another brand (Lot of people say that every dealer has partnership with this or that brand...
What do you think about that ?

Thanks

NOT TRUE!!!

It depends on how you drive the car, initially is 30000km, but the CBS can calculate a bigger OCI or a smaller OCI according to how you drive.
A car which is driven only in city and does a lot of short travels or if you drive a lot on the autobahn at high speed the Idrive tell you to change every 20000km, or if you drive a lot on the autobahn but not at high speed the idirve can tell you to change the oil after 35000 or 40000km.

Personally I change the oil every 10000km (I do an oil change my self in my house with my oil but I buy an OEM BMW oil filter) without reset the OCI indicator, and when I reach the OCI indicated by the idrive I go to the dealer to change the oil without tell him that I already changed the oil betwenn two oil changes (that keeps the warranty available, and that gives me a clean car history for the futur)

When I bought my car, it was filled with Castrol Profesionnal BMW LL04 5w30, then the two others oil changes has been done "normally" with BMW original TwinPower Turbo 5w30 LL04.

I am interested in a point, the oil you buy at the dealer is the OEM BMW (Shell) but the oil used by the service shop when you go for an oil service, is it really the OEM BMW (Shell) or they use another brand (Lot of people say that every dealer has partnership with this or that brand...
What do you think about that ?

Thanks

10,000km OCI is what I would do too.
Again, if oil is approved by BMW, BMW MUST honor warranty.
In Germany in fall, winter and spring (probably in Summer too) I would use Castrol 0W30 LL-04. However, if you going often to marocco etc. yeah maybe 0W40 makes sense. I would use Castrol 0W40. That is it. Or if it makes you feel better use BMW TPT 0W30 LL-04 in Fall, Winter and Spring, and BMW TPT M 0W40 in Summer.

In Germany in fall, winter and spring (probably in Summer too) I would use Castrol 0W30 LL-04. However, if you going often to marocco etc. yeah maybe 0W40 makes sense. I would use Castrol 0W40. That is it. Or if it makes you feel better use BMW TPT 0W30 LL-04 in Fall, Winter and Spring, and BMW TPT M 0W40 in Summer.

That's maybe a good option, an oil for cold weather and another for hot weather.
The castrol oils which matches BMW LL04 specs are less and less proposed on car shops in my area (since 2 or 3 years) You are mandatory to buy them on online shop. I prefer buy in a shop, and in the shop next to me you can found :
- Ravenol
- Fuchs (a lot of versions)
- Mobil
- Shell
- Liqui Moly

That's maybe a good option, an oil for cold weather and another for hot weather.
The castrol oils which matches BMW LL04 specs are less and less proposed on car shops in my area (since 2 or 3 years) You are mandatory to buy them on online shop. I prefer buy in a shop, and in the shop next to me you can found :
- Ravenol
- Fuchs (a lot of versions)
- Mobil
- Shell
- Liqui Moly

Of those you listed I would use Shell. Not big fan of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back