Supertech Filters aren't leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I want as much flow as possible ...

Your oil pump ensures that because flow doesn't change to the oiling system unless the pump hits pressure relief, which hardly ever happens unless you're doing very high revs with cold thick oil.

People always say they want a filter that gives as much flow as possible, yet they have no flow data on a specific filter they think flows well. Just because a filter isn't very efficient doesn't necessarily mean it flows well.

If you want efficiency, the new designed Fram EGs are better and nearly the same price.

I want as much flow as possible, and cheaply! My next purchase may be the jobber Prolines at Pep Boys.

You should be getting enough oil. If there is a problem, you'll get the oil pressure light.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
Whats so bad about e core filters?

Nothing-used with the proper OCI intervals. But on BITOG-they are no good just like Chinese tires, CVT transmissions, and other various nonsensical attitudes.

Non-nonsensical?

There's real factual reasons why we all hate those things.

The issue being is the "factual reasons" don't cover all brands and all transmissions. That's the issue. There are very good CVTs and good Chinese tires.

I just now note all super tech oil filter mark down to $2.00 . This is the filter I usually pick over fram when I’m doing $15 oil change on a beater . Glad it just change to new design and not gone

Sorry to see the current Wix made ST9688/(7317) and ST3614 applications going away. Both of those used separate dome bypass in the applications, good ~5k oci filters imo.

Looks like the new ST's going back to Champ made. That would likely make them very similar to the current (in this area) AZ STP standard blue line. If true that means the popular 3614 will be an ecore with combo valve. If they have a ST7317 that could be Champ classic construction, as the STP is now and old ST used to be. ST6607 should be classic construction. The 9688/3593a could be classic too as the current STP S2808 is.

So it would seem WM back where they were years ago, with Champ made ST and Fram in the TLE.

As for "up to 10k miles", meh. ~5k miles seems more like it imo.

If they are going ecore in the smaller sizes like the picture on the box of the 3600 shows, I think I will be going for them in the distant future. When I finally use up the oil filters that are less than seven years old. I just like the ecore design, probably because it is totally different.
I'm sure there is a story behind the scenes if they are switching from Wix to Champ. Walmart is a tough customer. It could be only a clash of corporate personalities in charge or something like that.

I would imagine Champ underbid for Walmart's house oil filter business. That's probably why there's a change underway.

+1 It is all about money.

the only thing that really bothers me about the e-cores is that they are usually shorter which in some applications makes it more difficult to remove because they are almost recessed in the cavity where the oil filter is.

I'll probably buy a few but we'll see, right now i have quite a stash of filters for awhile

Pay day, so went to walmart for some steak for the grill, stop buy oil filter section ( thinking pick up some old super tech ), shocking the old super tech got wipe out and replace with the new blue super tech, im open one and look inside, ac delco encore nightmare all over again
mad.gif
, i note all the box say " up to 10,000 miles "
shocked.gif

2n7dzcl.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Boxes look just like the new STP oil filters at AZ. Same manufacturers?
STP has used the Ecore design for a while, made by Champion Labs-but rumor has it they're catching the Tearolator disease as well on some part #s.

Just at WM today for groceries. Checked out the ST filter for my Ford applications and it's E-Core. This was an ST2. Pulled a Hyundai/Kia ST9688 and it's a metal core. Bought the ST2 for a Ford Freestyle I just bought for $350 to do a 500 mile cleanup oil change then a K&N or Ford Racing FL820S will go on. $2 E-Core is ok with me if I'm dumping after a week or two, vs. wasting a $15 filter. Not on this planet will I run a plastic junky filter for 10,000 miles as advertised... craziness.

Just to clarify, an E-Core filter has a plastic center tube?
Yes-and the older Ecores had bigger openings in the tube that occasionally allowed media to blow through and create a huge hole (if the pleat spacing was bad). Later Ecores made the plastic cage openings smaller & put in more media pleats, making blowout less likely.

Boxes look just like the new STP oil filters at AZ. Same manufacturers?
Yep, Champ Labs.

Saw the new ST's being stocked yesterday in WM. Filters look exactly like the STP blue OF currently sold at AZs (in this area). As noted earlier popular 3614 size an ecore as were all the other larger filter applications I saw. They did have the shorty 6607 which is classic metal construction with blue button bypass. Didn't see any of the popular 7317 application or 9688/3593a application, at least not yet. As for latter, noted above says classic metal construction like equivalent STP S2808 at AZ And standard blue paint, not textured at it seems to appear on box.

Efficiency rating on box, 99%>30um. Didn't look long enough to see if it said using ISO 4548-12 protocol.

So it would seem WM ST filters back to Champ after being discontinued and then Wix made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back